Cake Mix What Would You Suggest?

Decorating By sugarcheryl Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 4:13pm by Linliv46

sugarcheryl Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 15

If I wanted to use cake mix what recipe would I use for tiered cakes? Just the basic yellow, white, chocolate. Would the one you put the pudding in be good? I'm sorry I'm sure this question has been asked before.

14 replies
renee2007 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:43pm
post #2 of 15

I use duncan hines and pillsbury. although I don't do alot of tierd cakes, yet icon_biggrin.gif

sugarcheryl Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 15

I usually bake from scratch and when I first started cake decorating with Wilton I used DH but after working for a cater I got exposed to baking to scratch which is why I end up in pastry school but I just wanted to offer a budget conscience client an alternative. So I want to keep cost down as low as possible. But thanks.

Valli_War Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 15

I don't sell cakes, so I could be wrong, but WASC is quite famous here. Many people talk about that being so stable for stacking, carving etc. Hope this helps.
If you want the recipe, google for White Almond sourcream cake. This uses box mixes with other ingredients. It is basically an extender recipe.

melvin01 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 15

I use Duncan Hines and Pillsbury and they have worked fine with tiered cakes. It sits on the supports anyway, so there won't be any problems.

I also substitute applesauce for oil and all my clients seem to love it. Does make the white cake not pefectly white, though. But it is less fatening and I don't have to keep buying oil.

tonicake Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 15

I use Pillsbury most of the time. It's density can be altered by the # of egg yolks vs the # of egg whites. The less yolk the more moist it is. I have found it to be more moist than any other brand on the shelf. I would say it's a personal preference.

I do scratch on "different" type cakes i.e., Italian Creme, carrot, etc. Good luck on your search.

As the post above stated, it will be supported by dowels so it shouldn't make much of a difference.

Let us know how it turns out.

toodlesjupiter Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:14pm
post #7 of 15

I use Duncan Hines, but I add a box of pudding in the same or a complimentary flavor and an extra egg. I don't like the flavor of the Pillsbury box mixes, and the Betty Crocker, just doesn't seem to hold up quite as well. HTH!

jibbies Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:22pm
post #8 of 15

Pillsbury baker here (27 years)

Jibbies

liapsim Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 15

I use DH and Pillsbury but I found that the Pillsbury you have to use the hollow plastic dowels to hold up because with the wooden ones, everytime the cake tends to slide.

aswartzw Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:34pm
post #10 of 15

I use extender recipes using BC mixes. I used to use DH but they started to fall apart on me. Plus, I think they taste a bit odd. Never use Pillsbury b/c I think those definitely taste weird.

WASC is an excellent and sturdy cake. I definitely recommend this.

sugarcheryl Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:37pm
post #11 of 15

The only cake mix I personally like is DH so I will stick to good old faithful. Thank again. Where do you buy your cake mix? I wish I could by in bulk. The cheap place for me is Walmart.

Tootall Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:45pm
post #12 of 15

I use BC or PB. I've had bad experiences with DH, so I stay away from it icon_lol.gif I buy mine from Walmart, but I don't sell my cakes, just a hobby baker, so it's cheaper for me. icon_smile.gif Love my WM!! I use the WASC recipe and add a box of pudding to it, using 3 whole eggs per mix, not just egg whites. Everyone loves it! but I think my favorite version is to use strawberry cake mix and strawberry extract, filled with strawberry pie filling (in a can) and vanilla BC. YUM!!! icon_eek.gif

marybible Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:04pm
post #13 of 15

I have to say I use pilsbury the majority of the time too. never had a problem with it.

something_sweet Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:08pm
post #14 of 15

I use DH, for me they are the most moist. For my tiered and stcked cakes, I use the WASC recipe with my DH cakes, and they are always delicious. I would highly recommend this! Good Luck! icon_biggrin.gif

Linliv46 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:13pm
post #15 of 15

Just a hobby baker here too but I like DH or BC and I buy at WM too! I save the pudding for the mousse filling! Oh I always use the WASC recipe too even if I am making CC's!

Linda

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%