Ganache Or Smbc, Which Is More Stable In A Stacked Cake?

Decorating By Lori2240 Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 7:35pm by Lori2240

Lori2240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori2240 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:57pm
post #1 of 8

Or are they both equal? Would either be better standing stacked at room temp for 24-36 hrs? Thanks!

7 replies
wendalynn11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendalynn11 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:20pm
post #2 of 8

I don't have an answer for you but I am also very curious to see what the CC expert have to say...

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 8

Hmmm.... I'd say in a contest whipped ganache would win but both work equally well. I just made a stacked topsy-turvy with one tier filled with SMBC and the other with ganache. Room temp all day and no issues. Hope that helps. thumbs_up.gif

Lori2240 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks! It does. In the past my SMBC seems to be rather soft. In speaking with someone here on CC, I think the problem may be that my SMBC recipe may not contain enough butter. So I think I am going to tweak my recipe. Thanks!

Edit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edit Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 8

Try the one-two-three SMBC. It's stable and not too buttery eighter.
(1 cup eggwhites, 2 cups sugar, 3 cups butter) or any amount you need with that ratio.

Lori2240 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 8

Well... according to that ratio, my recipe is indeed lacking butter. Thank you for that ratio. I recently ran across a recipe that had the butter previously creamed and then add it. Does anyone do it this way? I added mine a few pats at a time. Thanks!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 7:04pm
post #7 of 8

Lori, I follow jkalman's recipe from here. I have discovered (for me) that it's easier to work with SMBC after refrigerating it until it reaches "a stick of butter" consistency and nuke it until just soft enough to rebeat. It's much stiffer and ices cakes amazingly easy!

She also uses a ton of flavoring which a lot of SMBC recipes seem to be lacking on.

Lori2240 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 8

Wow... thanks for that refrigeration tip!! I think jkalman was the one who made me realize I was lacking in the butter department. So you just nuke it a little bit and then rebeat it right away. I will definitely use that tip. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%