Cake Dummies

Business By SpoonfulofSugar Updated 15 Aug 2008 , 10:39pm by littlecake

SpoonfulofSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 11:58am
post #1 of 8

I'm just starting out in this business (part time of course for now) wondering if it's ok to use wedding cake dummies that I decorate to show customers...or to use them on a website when I get that up? I need someway to show my work to get the first clients. I do have a wedding cake in Dec....so I'm really excited about that one but until then I need something to show my customers....It is my decorating...but it's not an actual wedding cake that I did for a client so does it seem like false advertising b/c I did not make the actual wedding cake for someone.....my first thought is no b/c it is my work. Any thoughts?

7 replies
bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:13pm
post #2 of 8

I think people use dummies for display cakes and concepts all of the time. I think you would be find to do the same! HTH

mandm78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandm78 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:14pm
post #3 of 8

Sure, you can use cake dummies. I have several in my shop that I decorated. It is all my work. It's a good starting/selling point for customers to see your decorating skills. I also have different sizes/shapes of undecorated dummies so customers can play around with stacking different sizes/shapes together to see how their cake will look. I would show them the cake pans but had a hard time trying to stack them so I decided this is so much more easier and just looks better. Congrats on your first wedding cake order! That's very exciting.

SpoonfulofSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:18pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks so much for the help! I'm going to get started on decorating some cake dummies this weekend....and good idea about having different sizes to show how the cake would look

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:20pm
post #5 of 8

I'm the dummie police and you can use them
anytime!

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:43pm
post #6 of 8

Cake dummies are the best! They eliminate so much waste if you use them for practice and displays. Just make sure that you can make the real thing before advertising your dummy as something you are capable of. A friend of mine fell into this trap when she made a perfect topsy turvy dummy, but then couldn't deliver with the real deal. Talk about embarrassing... icon_redface.gif

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 5:35pm
post #7 of 8

Absolutely! just be careful of what you make, it should be something that you cake do on a real cake too.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:39pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by vixterfsu

I'm the dummie police and you can use them
anytime!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%