Cake Flavors Have Me ?????

Decorating By pinklesley1 Updated 14 Aug 2008 , 11:59pm by KKC

pinklesley1 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:14am
post #1 of 14

Ok so i get an order from a girl in New jersey who wants to order a cake for her sister who is having a baby shower in miami... so i say ... ok...

she had said she wanted something simple... vanilla with buttercreme (what i recommended - bc everyone loves it!!!

and so she tells me know that she wants vanilla with buttercreme... with strawberry and banana pieces in it...

im kinda worried that it is not going to taste good... and my name is going to be tied to it... i wanted to know if any of my fellow CCers have ever done something like that.. please let me know... im freaked!!!

13 replies
ceshell Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:44am
post #2 of 14

I think it sounds great! I haven't used this specific combo myself but think of all of the products out there (juices, yogurt drinks, desserts) that have banana AND strawberry mixed together. Fresh, fruity and yummy. I think you should go for it.

pinklesley1 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:53am
post #3 of 14

ceshell... i hope it comes out good...
i hope that i can find good strawberries...

thanks for the vote of confidence!!!

miny Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 6:18am
post #4 of 14

I have done this combo but with fresh fruit and whipped cream for the filling, I just put a layer of vanilla or banana whipped cream and chop the fruit (well dried) on top then I put the top of the cake and frost, just make sure you are fast sealing the sides that way the banana doesn't get brown (same thing when you are cutting it, speed is crutial when working with fresh bananas) It tastes really good like this but you can flavor your BC if you don't want to use fresh fruit, in my opinion is a winning combination. icon_smile.gif

miny Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 6:21am
post #5 of 14

I just remember that one time I didn't find fresh strawberries and I used frozen, the ones without syrup, they were not as good as fresh but they held up well, just thaw them, don't cut them too small and try to dry them as much as possible. icon_wink.gif

pinklesley1 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 6:21am
post #6 of 14

that is what i was worried about...
if i put the bananas in the buttercreme... will they be brown when they cut into the cake.

pinklesley1 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 6:22am
post #7 of 14

cool miny thanks... u are a great help...

you are awesome!

i will let you know how it turns out!

tootie0809 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:01pm
post #8 of 14

I think if you toss the bananas in a little bit of lemon juice, it will help stop the browning. Good luck!

pinklesley1 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 10:14pm
post #9 of 14

it hought of that tootie.. but im afraid that it is going o cut the buttercreme

KKC Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 4:12am
post #10 of 14

Pinklesley, I always put fresh lemon juice on the bananas and they don't turn brown. I made a banana cake with fresh bananas and then buttercream on top it was delish and didn't compromise the buttercream at all!

bearcreek350 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 9:55am
post #11 of 14

Sorry to hijack this thread, but Kivia, I just have to say that I am soooo jealous of you!! My granddaughter lives in Hialeah and I live in Iowa. I miss her soooo much. I wish I lived there too. icon_sad.gif

KKC Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 8:28pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcreek350

Sorry to hijack this thread, but Kivia, I just have to say that I am soooo jealous of you!! My granddaughter lives in Hialeah and I live in Iowa. I miss her soooo much. I wish I lived there too. icon_sad.gif

Wow that is a long distance away...but let me just say that I wish I lived anywhere but Hialeah, the drivers are so bad here, the traffic is bad (every single time i get in the car I'm cursing) and the communication is bad...I do however love my cuban food and pastries. I don't know what I'd do without them. What part of Hialeah does ur granddaughter reside?

bearcreek350 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 11:29pm
post #13 of 14

All I know is the address. It is an apartment building and her Mom and grandmother down there are cuban. I didn't get to taste much cuban food from my D-I-L. They are around W 44th if that means anything.

KKC Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 11:59pm
post #14 of 14

Ok...I live about 5 minutes away on W 23rd st. Its funny because my DH is Cuban/African American and he hates cuban food but I'm African American and I love that food. I can't get enough. It doesn't help that they have a restaurant on every other corner here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%