Using Mousse As A Filling, A ?

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 1:50pm by HerBoudoir

dandelion56602 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:56am
post #1 of 9

I've never used mousse as a filling for a cake, and never used a soft filling for a cake w/out a buttercream dam. BUT, I'm wondering if I can use a mousse as a filling and cover the cake with a ganache? Will the mousse bulge or ooze? I'm just worried about this, any help is appreciated. (just thinking about playing around w/ some things before taking a dessert to a dinner) Thanks.

8 replies
miny Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:12am
post #2 of 9

If you beat your cream really well you should have no problems, I beat it to the point when the cream or Pastry Pride starts to curdle up and when you mix your flavor for the mousse it's going to turn into a thick concistency mousse but try to keep it refrigerated because no mousse can stand the heat no matter how well mixed it is. usaribbon.gif

PinkZiab Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:20am
post #3 of 9

allow your mousse to start setting a little before building the cake. Assuming you're making a traditional recipe, once the gelatin begins to set, you'll be fine, and the filling will actually be quite firm. A well-made mousse can be piped and hold its shape.

ceshell Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:20am
post #4 of 9

If you're really worried about it, you can also reserve some of the ganache and whip THAT to make your dam. I do it all the time, whipped dark chocolate ganache makes a great dam. Hard to get on the cake, it's so firm.

dandelion56602 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:27am
post #5 of 9

http://www.recipezaar.com/62067 . I think I'm going to try this one. Would it be ok to sub water for the juice & do you think it will be stiff enough? If not, I may try the ganache as a dam--thanks for the tip ceshell

miny Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:55am
post #6 of 9

I think the juice is meant to bring out the falvor of the strawberries, I don't think it will matter much if you substitute it in the consistency but I think it will in the flavor.

maimai16 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 6:36am
post #7 of 9

i just did a dark chocolate cake with chocolate mousse filling and covered with semisweet chocolate ganache last weekend. the sides are exposed so when the ganached rolled on it, it melted the mousse. maybe you could freeze the mousse first before pouring the ganache. good thing i have excess cake that i crumbled to cover the sides. you can view the cake, i already posted it. icon_smile.gif [/img]

miny Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 8:26am
post #8 of 9

I always put a light coat of BC on the cake to seal it, then I pour the ganache on top this way you don't have that problem.

HerBoudoir Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:50pm
post #9 of 9

I do this all the time, and actually use the mousse to crumb coat the cake.

Technically, what I use is more of a beaten ganache than a traditional mousse with egg yolks, etc. I find that as a thin layer of filling, it's more stable and you can't pick out the difference in flavor. Just make sure you use good quality bar chocolate, NOT chocolate chips. Chocolate chips are coated with a thin layer of edible wax, which affects the texture and taste if melt them. My "everyday" chocolate is Trader Joe's Pounder Plus Bittersweet or Dark (which is a Belgian chocolate made by Callebaut); alternatively, I also use Valrhona or Scharffen Berger. Lindt or Ghiardelli will do in a pinch. A darker chocolate (55% cacao and up) will be more stable than a milk chocolate - I usually use between a 60% and a 72%.

My recipe for mousse filling: (a "no-fail" beaten ganache)

Melt 10 ounces of good quality bittersweet chocolate (chopped) with 1/2 cup heavy cream on 50% power in the microwave, stirring regularly at 30 second intervals, until smooth. Let cool to room temperature (but still liquid) - about 15 minutes.

In a chilled bowl, beat 1 1/2 cups heavy cream until medium peak. Add the cooled ganache, and beat to stiff peak. You'll need to get in there with a rubber spatula a bit to make sure you don't have ganache puddles hiding in the bottom of the bowl.

Flavoring variations:

Mocha: Add 2 teaspoons of instant espresso powder to the chocolate and heavy cream, then melt as per instructions.

Liquor: Add 2 tablespoons of a liquor or 1 teapoon of an extract to the heavy cream that you're whipping. For example, Gran Marnier, Chambord, Kahlua, rum, Godiva Chocolate liquor, amaretto, Frangelico, etc.

~~~

I use this as a filling, then spread a thin layer on the whole cake as a crumb coat, then chill thoroughly (or even freeze) before I add buttercream or ganache.

This is enough for 3 layers of filling and a crumb coat on a 6 inch cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%