They Just Won't Stop Eating!!

Lounge By cakemommy Updated 16 Aug 2008 , 5:29am by ShortcakesSweets

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:50am
post #1 of 14

Okay, so I have two boys, 6 and 3 1/2. My eldest for about 2 years or so, a few years ago, just would not eat. I mean he'd eat but hardly anything and never what I made for him. I gave in and gave him whatever it was he would eat. Well, now he won't quit. Yes he is a growing boy. When we measured him on his birthday June 1st, we discovered he grew 1" in a 2 mo. period. He's eating everything under the sun now, but has since given up on peanut butter!!!! Weird!!! Anyway, now my 3 year old has slowed down his eating and has become picky. I understand kids do this just like my 6 year old did. Now in the last month or so these kids just won't quit asking for food, mostly cereal, before bedtime. We tend to eat dinner around 5:30-6:00 and their bedtime is 8:00. My eldest eats his dinner and then wants to keep eating right up to bed time. My youngest doesn't eat or doesn't eat all his dinner and then wants something to eat when he goes to bed.

I tell him he should have eaten his dinner. Of course he gets mad and screams and cries. I don't want to send him to bed hungry but darnit, I don't want him thinking I'm going to cave in either. I don't but what do I have to do to get these boys to stop asking me for something to eat when they go to bed? Saying "no" just does not seem to be enough for them.

Amy

13 replies
redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:05am
post #2 of 14

I could be wrong, but I thought that most preschool (and even many early elementary age) kids tend to eat a "bedtime snack". I know that my 15 1/2 year old still does, much of the time!

I think the big issue is whether it is something nutritionless or something healthy. You don't want your kids to be eating from dinner straight through bedtime, but I don't see anything wrong with a small, healthy snack before bed.

With your little guy, if he doesn't finish his dinner (and you've given him an age-appropriate amount, with at least one or two items that he likes to eat), could you put away some of what he left and offer that to him when he asks for something later? That worked well with my son--if he was truly hungry, he'd eat what he was offered.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:17am
post #3 of 14

Cakemommy, my son is the same way...actually he doesn't eat meat at all, so the doctor said to give him whatever he likes, unfortunately for me the all foods that he likes has to be cooked. His father works at night and sleeps during the day so I'm trying to juggle cooking something for him every other hour and baking cakes. He doesn't eat cereal at all. But even after an hour of him eating a cooked meal he is still hungry and he would eat (if I let him) right before he goes to bed. He's 7 and still eats the baby cereal that u put in formula...so if he's hungry before bed I'd give him that or oatmeal or cream of wheat.

I totally feel where your coming from...have u tried buying the Nutripals by Pediasure?, they are full of vitamins and very good for kids and comes in a few different flavors.

cakemommy Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 6:02am
post #4 of 14

I used to give my 6 year old Pediasure a few years ago when he just wouldn't eat. He loved them. I havent' even considered that for my 3 year old. Maybe I will try that with him. Thank you!

Oh yeah, my little one does get offered what he didn't finish at dinner. That's the way it was when I was little. I also tell them what I was told. If you couldn't finish your dinner then you must not be hungry. That's the way it was in my house as a kid.

I will try the pediasure for my little one.

Thank you both!

Amy

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:23pm
post #5 of 14

Instead of Pedisure try Carnation instant breakfast it's a lot cheaper, and you can mix it with lowfat milk so there arn't as many calories(if these are concerns you have). I use to give my oldest son Pedisure, but that was 8 years ago and the price has skyrocketed icon_eek.gif . Good luck, and remember it's all a faze.

cakemommy Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:43pm
post #6 of 14

Ahhh! Carnation instant breakfast. Forgot all about that stuff. Way cheaper for sure. Breakfast is pretty much the only time of day this kid will clean his bowl!!! He loves waffels but I'm not trying to give him that before bedtime.

Thank you for sharing.

Amy

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 4:21am
post #7 of 14

They have a cheaper version of Pediasure called NutriPals, its made by Pediasure it comes in a 4-pack and its about $4.99 here in Miami. Its in the same isle as the Pediasure!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 9:14am
post #8 of 14

could they just be going through a growth spurt, i know when ever my boys hit one i couldn't fill them up. As long as they aren't at an unhealthy weight, i say let them eat.

cakemommy Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:51am
post #9 of 14

I have been told by their pediatricians that they are not starving. My eldest is definately going through a growth spurt. He and his brother just want to snack all day long. I keep telling then I don't run a buffet and you can't just have what you want when you want it then the fight ensues.

I forgot all about NutriPals. I used to see commericals for them. Haven't seen them in a while now. I hope some of these options gives them or at least my youngest a fuller tummy so they'll quit asking to take a bowl of dry Cheerios or something to bed.

Thank you everyone!!!

Amy

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 12:48pm
post #10 of 14

Have you tried having raw vegetables ready in the fridge? Carrot sticks, cucumber, radish - whatever they like. Washed and cut up that way you dont have to prepare anything. Or offer them a piece of fruit. Crackers and cheese?

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:41pm
post #11 of 14

My boys eat constantly too. They feel that at least two snacks are needed between breakfast and lunch, then at least two more between lunch and dinner. icon_eek.gif

They take after their father and have hollow legs. icon_lol.gif Calories don't worry me since they're both really skinny and are active so I just try to feed them healthy things.

My mom always told me that when boys are growing they need to eat alot.

My biggest issue is paying for all the food they eat. icon_cry.gif

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 5:54pm
post #12 of 14

I have a son that is always asking for snacks and food. He is only six and small for his age. But, he eats the same amount at meals that my husband (6'4" and 300 lbs) and I do, lol. He will ask for a snack fifteen minutes after eating a huge dinner with a dessert.

I sometime think its just a habit.

I have also noticed with my other kids that when they are bored they want to eat.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 6:47pm
post #13 of 14

I have 4 kids and they all went thru different phases of eating and I used to get freaked out by it. But then I realized the Doctor is right, they are not going to starve. I read somewhere about kids going thru different spurts during the years that will result in every variation of energy, tired, hunger, thirst, sleepiness, sleeplessness, etc. And then I watched it in action.

For a while my 14 year old barely ate anything, now I have to feed the kid 5 times a day or he swears he is going to wither away to nothing. I found that a great nightime snack (if they are truly hungry) it to have hard boiled eggs on hand. If they swear they are starving at 8 pm (not just jonesing for extra desert) they eat an egg or a piece of cheese. It's high protein and fills them up rather then giving the something carb/sugar based.

But here's the thing!!!!!! icon_redface.gif I am such a hypocrite! I remember telling the kids that 'they had dinner and desert and if they were still hungry, they could wait until breakfast' (as I hid the 10 pm bag of Doritos under the pillow and stashed the Pepsi behind the lamp.) icon_lol.gif

Latenight eating is the bane of my existence...........

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:29am
post #14 of 14

If they are hungry that often, you might consider having their blood sugar checked. When mine is low I tend to feel like I am starving all the time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%