Flower Pot Woes

Decorating By TJCanadian Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 1:54pm by TJCanadian

TJCanadian Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:53am
post #1 of 9

What am I doing wrong here? This is my 3rd flower pot and I can't seem to get it to look like a good crisp clean flower pot. I end up with rounded, squat looking pots.

How do you get it to have a good top edge and bottom tray so it looks right?
LL

8 replies
Monna7122 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:20am
post #2 of 9

Is the cake layers all the same? I did a flower pot, you can see it in my pics, but pay no attention to the flowers please icon_redface.gif A little different than yours tho. I had my top layer bigger than the bottoms so that it stuck out just a bit to make that top ring. Fill free to PM me if you need to. I am definately not an expert, but I learn alot with it.

cupcakers Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:27am
post #3 of 9

I just started wilton class 5 last night and we made a flower pot and the top is a lot larger than the bottom like a upside down cone.Then the top rim goes above the end of the top cake edge to hold all of your dirt in.Good luck

mouse13 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:23am
post #4 of 9

I would use a bigger top cake or you could carve it to make the flower pot shape.

PinkZiab Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:25am
post #5 of 9

I think you did a very good job, but my personal opinion is that for as big (wide) as it is, it should be quite a bit taller. I also agree with the others in making the top layer a little bigger the others to create the lip around the top of the pot.

TJCanadian Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:14pm
post #6 of 9

I tried making the top one a bigger around layer the first time I did a flower pot but the top layer just fell apart. Do you put a support just under that top layer then?

PinkZiab Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 9

Yes you could have the top layer on a cardboard cake circle cut to size.

Joyful1216 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:46pm
post #8 of 9

My only flower pot experience is reading the article here, which I'm sure you've seen but on some extreme off-chance that you hadn't.... http://www.cakecentral.com/article46-Step-By-Step-3D-Cake-Sculpting-Baby-in-a-Flower-Pot.html

TJCanadian Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:54pm
post #9 of 9

If you fondant cover the cake upside down like that, how long do you let it dry? I tried that one of the first times too, maybe I didn't let it dry long enough but once I flipped it over, it kept peeling away. Lol, that was a fun night. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%