Castle Cake Towers For Cake Competition?

Decorating By turtle3264 Updated 14 Aug 2008 , 2:32am by turtle3264

turtle3264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtle3264 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:51am
post #1 of 4

I am entering the NC ICES cake competition in September. I plan on doing a castle cake. I was trying to figure out what to make the towers out of. I thought about using paper towel rolls covered in mmf or either hollow tubes of mmf. Will the judges at the competition know that there are paper towel rolls used for the towers? Do they ask that kind of information? If I just use the mmf without the paper towel rolls, should it be able to withstand a 90 mile trip? I don't really want to use rice krispy treats. Thanks.

3 replies
cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:33am
post #2 of 4

There should be a list of rules and regulations of what is allowed and not allowed for the construction of your cake. Go online and read these rules and regs for your category. Judges are very stringent on the rules and regs so definately make sure you check everything first.

Good luck with your entry.

Amy

agroeve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agroeve Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 10:26am
post #3 of 4

I've just made towers for a castle cake and used pastillage shaped around plastic pipe then when the pastillage is dry just twisted the pipe out. As pastillage dries very hard it should stand up to the travel without the need for extra support. Usually with comps all things on cakes usually have to be edible (with the exception of flower wires of course) so you may want to check it out before making with towel rolls. i'd hate to see you out of the running for using them. good luck with the competition

turtle3264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtle3264 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 2:32am
post #4 of 4

Thanks, I will probably not use the paper towel rolls since this is for a competition.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%