Question About Fimo Clay And Cakes

Decorating By lexi55033 Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 3:38am by dandelion56602

lexi55033 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lexi55033 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:23am
post #1 of 4

Has anyone ever made figures out of Fimo clay to put on a cake? I like the idea that they could be a permanent keepsake for the bride and groom, but I'm worried about the safety aspect of it. I found a website today that does exactly that and it looks very neat, but without more safety info on it, I'd be hesitant to try it. The website that I was looking at is www.totallytoppers.com . I suppose it wouldn't be much different than people putting Precious Moments figurines on cakes, etc. would it? Would any of the chemicals or coloring soak into the frosting? Anyone?

3 replies
sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:32am
post #2 of 4

Can you email one of the manufacturers of the fimo clay and ask about ingredients and possible leaching etc?

I would think they would be fine as long as they were wiped clean after drying. I have surely seen people put scarier things than clay figures on cake! icon_wink.gif

I am jealous of anyone with molding skills! All my figures end up looking like monsters!

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:33am
post #3 of 4

I think it would be fine to put them on the cake if you place them on a small piece of cardboard or parchment, just so they won't be directly touching the cake. If you cut the cardboard the exact size of the topper you won't even be able to see it.

Good luck and welcome to CC!

Kim

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:38am
post #4 of 4

You could put it on a small board before putting it on the cake so it doesn't come in contact w/ the icing or cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%