Buttercream And Fondant Decorations

Decorating By CRykens Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 2:37am by matwogirls

CRykens Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:57am
post #1 of 5

This may be a silly question, but I was thinking of using buttercream to ice the cake and then laying fondant decorations over it without laying fondant over the entire cake.
The person wants her colors and rather than color fondant (I will if I have to) I thought I could just use chocolate buttercream and lay the decorations on top of it. I am not sure that the oils in the buttercream won't discolor or destroy the fondant before I deliver the cake (1-2 days).
Let me know if anyone knows the answer or has done this before...

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
matwogirls Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:22am
post #2 of 5

I am sorry, but I am not sure if I understand. You want to ice a cake with buttercream. Preferably chocoalte buttercream, and you would like to lay fondant deorartions on it. And you want to know if the fondant will discolor the buttercream?

What type of decorations and what colors?

I used white buttercream(sugarshacks recipe) and I attached Black and dark red fonant on the cake with leftover buttercream icing. I did not have any problems. But I did not let it sit as long as what I think you want.

CRykens Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:29am
post #3 of 5

Sorry! It is a shower cake and I was going to make a wedding dress to lay out on the cake and little champagne glasses. I would probably do a cream/ivory dress. I just don't want the fondant looking oily.

In one sense, when you lay fondant over a whole cake it doesn't make it look oily so I don't know it is different since the decorations are not covering the whole cake.

I am taking this cake out of town, so I am decorating Thursday night and the shower is Saturday afternoon.

showersfamily4 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:35am
post #4 of 5

You can certainly use fondant accents or decorations over buttercream. There shouldn't be any problems with the fondant.

matwogirls Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:37am
post #5 of 5

I don't think that the fondant will look oily. I am not sure about the chocolate icing under white though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%