Grocery Store Cakes

Decorating By abra526 Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 2:33am by indydebi

abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:54am
post #1 of 4

Ok, so I'm used to seeing the very basic, somewhat generic cakes that they sell at WalMart. You can choose between either a couple of cupcakes slathered in frosting to slightly resemble a puppy, or you can order a prefrozen sheet cake with a little creative airbrushing. So you can imagine how surprised I was when I payed a visit to our brand new Hy-Vee store today. In their bakery, not only did they have scupted cakes that look like pirate ships and Thomas the train, but they had wedding cakes, that actually looked like wedding cakes! The prettiest one was a pink and brown 4 tiered stacked with polka dots, stripes, and even a pretty fondant bow on top. I was impressed. So, when I got home I decided to give them a call and get prices. A buttercream wedding cake is 2.50/serving and fondant is 4.00/serving. Ok, this is just my opinion, but if your going to spend that much money per serving, don't you want a cake that has been baked fresh rather than a frozen grocery store cake? I guess I just had no idea any grocery stores decorated cakes like that!

3 replies
Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:13am
post #2 of 4

Well you said it yourself, they dont seem to be the run of the mill grocery cakes...probably well worth the monies they are charging.

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:14am
post #3 of 4

My grocery store that I go to (local family owned) has a bakery section and they also do sculpted cakes and wedding cakes (they have a sculpted WALL-E cake on display this week - awesome job BTW). Their wedding cakes start out at $2.50 and go up from there. They do bake their cakes right there and they are fresh so I know they don't use frozen cakes. I used to order my eggless cakes from them for my DD and they baked it right there day before. Granted, they used a box mix (I asked and they told me), but it still tasted good and it was fresh!

I would think that your grocery store does do some baking for special order cakes such as weddings, etc. I wouldn't think they are using frozen cakes for those type orders. JMO.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:33am
post #4 of 4

The good news is that it's a more realistic price range than the normal grocery store bakery prices we see.

Look at it as just one more validation on the value of good cake work!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%