Really Need Some Help With Crystals On A Cake!! - Kinda Long

Decorating By janelwaters Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 3:28pm by 2txmedics

janelwaters Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:09am
post #1 of 4

A friend has asked me make a cake for her daughter's Sweet 16 party - and this is some kinda party!! The theme is "bling". She wants a 3 tier square cake with white fondant - no big deal - easy cake! (kinda). She tells me months ago that she is getting some crystals to put around the bottoms of each tier and she will bring them to me later - great, perfect!

WELL.... (oh, come on - you knew it wouldn't be that easy!) - she comes by tonight and brings me this "band" of crystals that she wants around the bottoms, I pull it out and say great "where are the rest" - She only brought me one yard - not even enough to go around the bottom of the 10 inch cake (10, 8, 6). So now I am trying to figure out how to make this cake with only one yard of 3 rows of crystals - NO TIME to order more - Cake is due on Friday.

Her colors are white and silver and "bling" - ANY IDEAS are welcome - I have already been to JoAnn's and really didn't find anything - HELP PLEASE!!!

Sorry so long - but thank you all so much for any help!

3 replies
janelwaters Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:28am
post #2 of 4

Any ideas???? icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif PLEASE!!

sadiepix Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:27am
post #3 of 4

Could you use the single yard as a drape rather than around the tiers as the pic shows?

Like so many do pretty swags/drapes from fondant you could use that and just put either different single crystals around the cake bottoms, or use another border and let the cascade of 'bling' be the focus, plus the topper.

If not can the crystals be cut apart at all and used in single strings/individual?

Good luck!

2txmedics Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 4

is it possible to cut it into diamond shape and center it on each cake, then add maybe your own...bling, dots ....on each side of the diamond???

or even a bling topper coming out of the top hanging over like a canopy??? to go with the diamonds???
just an idea.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%