Have ?s Decorating A Fondant Wedding Cake - Please Help

Decorating By auntbeesbaking Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 11:32pm by kakeladi

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 10:12pm
post #1 of 2

I have a few ?s concerning a fondant covered wedding cake I'm doing for this Friday's 5:00 wedding. First, I'd like to decorate it TH and be done - or as done as I can be.

The cake will be three tiers (Including EATING the top tier). Between the bottom tier and middle tier the bride would like flowers in between the columns. Can I use either buttercream or royal frosting on top of the fondant? If I wanted to "mound" some flowers would it be best to use royal frosting? (QUESTIONS 1 and 2)

Finally, should I buttercream the cake on TH and put the fondant on it right away? This would give the cakes a chance to "firm up" overnight. I can keep the cakes covered with foil, saran wrap or towels. (QUESTION 3)

I would've liked to have made some simple fondant flowers but I guess I ran out of time. The bride wants all pink flowers (daisies are her favorite). The design on the sides of the cake are very simple - just some vines (going horizontally) with simple pink flowers in between (?such as apple blossoms???). Can I do those ahead of time - TH during the day or do I need to wait until Friday? I can buy royal flowers tomorrow if I need to. (QUESTION 4)

I do have white royal frosting made up already. I just didn't think I had time to color, and practice making flowers tonight and still have them dried for TH's decorating day (I also don't have flower formers). I didn't know if I did simple ejected fondant flowers if they could be "fresh" or do they need to dry too and how long? (QUESTON 5)

I know this is alot of ?s but this is only my second wedding cake (the other was buttercream frosting). My friend is well into her 40's and is getting married for the first time (as is her groom). She's a geriatric social worker who's been devoted to her clients and family. I'd like to make it as special as I can for her

THANK YOU for any help you can give me!

Deb

1 reply
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 11:32pm
post #2 of 2

....... Between the bottom tier and middle tier the bride would like flowers in between the columns. Can I use either buttercream or royal frosting on top of the fondant? If I wanted to "mound" some flowers would it be best to use royal frosting? ......

Yes, either will work. I don't like making or using royal so I would use BC.

.....should I buttercream the cake on TH and put the fondant on it right away? .... I can keep the cakes covered with foil, saran wrap or towels...

Once you put the fondant on over the b'c, don't cover - well maybe a towel lightly thrown over to keep any dust off would be o.k. but probably not necessary.

.....simple pink flowers in between (?such as apple blossoms???). Can I do those ahead of time - TH during the day......

Make those flowers nowicon_smile.gif apple blossoms are so easy to make either in air-dried b'c or gp. No need to wait.

..... have white royal frosting made up already. I just didn't think I had time to color, and practice making flowers tonight and still have them dried for TH's decorating day (I also don't have flower formers). I didn't know if I did simple ejected fondant flowers if they could be "fresh" ....

Certainly you have more than enough time to work w/the royal.
OR: the simple ejected flowers.....either can be made now for use later.
They will dry overnight (unless you live in a *v ery humid* area); They can put them into the oven **w/just the light on** overnight. Put a note on the oven so you don't accidently turn it on! Many have done thisicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%