Is It Legal If You Call Yourself A Personal Chef?

Decorating By BellaSweet Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 1:02pm by indydebi

BellaSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaSweet Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 6

Okay, so my company is using this caterer for an open house this week. Her cupcakes are amazing!! I live in Texas. But she is doing a full service catering business straight out of her home!!!! icon_eek.gificon_confused.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_confused.gificon_surprised.gif I don't get it. When I asked my boss how this was possible, she said the caterer told her she was a personal chef. Does calling youself that make it legal??? The word "catering" is still in her company name. I just don't gat it. She is making food out of her home, then receiving money for it!! Can someone please explain?

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:05am
post #2 of 6

What she is doing in NOT legal. Typically, a personal chef does ALL the cooking in the client's home. That is how it becomes 'legal' to cater somewhere other than a commercial kitchen. In NO WAY does it allow you to cook at home.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:13am
post #3 of 6

JoAnnB is right--a personal chef does all the cooking at the client's house.
What she is doing IS illegal. I would let your boss know so the next time they need a "caterer", they will find a legal one.

Also, here in my neck of the woods in East Texas, if you are catering, you have to have a catering license--I know, I was required to get one. And the HD also have to make sure that you have the proper equipment in your vehicle to keep foods hot or cold. Thank goodness, I am only considered catering for cakes and didn't have to add THAT expense in.

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 8:52am
post #4 of 6

I just delivered a wedding cake this week-end. While I was there a gal came in to finish setting up the tables for the catering. I always ask who the caterer is. The gal said it was her . I introduced myself and asked her where was her shop. She proceeded to tell me that she did not have a shop that she does this out of her home. She gave me a business card, on it was her name and catering company. She is in Texas. This is not the first time I have run into people operating from their home. So many are flying under the radar. I heard through a friend that has a restaurant, that the HD has set up a special task force to run a sting operation. Should be interesting if this occurs.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:47pm
post #5 of 6

Yes, and they also monitor websites...I have mine at zoomshare and that is one of the sites they keep tabs on here.

If they find your website, they will call and pretend to be a customer.

All it take is for that business card to fall into someone's hand that works at the HD or knows someone there.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:02pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac

Yes, and they also monitor websites...I have mine at zoomshare and that is one of the sites they keep tabs on here.

I've shared this story before, but a caterer friend of mine had her website up for about a month when the HD knocked on her front door. They told her their boss had told them to start scanning the internet and to shut down the home bakers/caterers.

She was very fortunate and was able to find a great deal with a church in a very short time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%