Anyone Ever Used Sugarveil?

Decorating By Lori2240 Updated 15 Aug 2008 , 4:46pm by Lori2240

Lori2240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori2240 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 9

Either the whole system or just the mix? I was thinking about trying out the mix because it looked kinda neat. The whole system is whole other story though. Has anyone ever made ribbons to wrap around cakes with it? Thanks!

8 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 9

IMO don't buy the system (I did - oops - and I find I can do better with a bag using a small tip or just snipping off the end of the bag). I really like working with the icing. It melds very nicely into itself and works great for swiss dots, flow work, etc...

Never used it to make ribbons but did make a doily once that looked OK. I think I would use fondant over sugarveil for ribbons because its easier to work with. The sugarveil you need to catch at the exact right time (not to soft / not to dry to make ribbons).

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 9

got myself the whole system last nov. tried it thrice & could never get the consistency right..i'm still trying to find the energy to give it another try coz it could get really frustrating icon_mad.gif

bobbie

Lori2240 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 9

I thought it has premade icing that came with it. Is it hard to make it?

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 9

yup, it comes w/ its own icing in powder form w/c you have to mix w/ water. the problem is if you live where humidity is high (like me), it's pretty hard to get the right consistency. on my part, i've discovered to mix it today, refrigerate it & use it the following day (let it come to room temp before using)..hope that helps

bobbie

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 11:51pm
post #6 of 9

I have both and I really like the icing - especially for writing - I haven't really had the problem with "catching it at the right moment" Always seems ok to me. Most of my cakes have SugarVeil writing - Kharsten's cake is written in SugarVeil and the Mickey cake is totally sugarveil - I traced the outline of mickey and then placed it on the cake and filled it in.

I would not buy the whole system - I would try the small bag of icing to see if you like it.

Lori2240 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:49pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for the feedback. I absolutely LOVE the mickey mouse. SO you just trace it, peel it, stick it, and fill it in!? If at any point I decide to get the system, is there anything it can do better than just a piping bag? Thanks!!

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 3:34pm
post #8 of 9

That is exactly how I did mickey - the peel and stick is a little tricky with something that big - but it was pretty easy!

You can also get the "comb" I think its only like $10 - and you can smooth out the icing and it makes the coolest bows and you can also use regular paper punches with it for different shapes.

I would highly recommend getting the DVD - there is a TON of useful information on it!

Lori2240 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 4:46pm
post #9 of 9

ohhh.. Janel you are getting me excited! Im definitely going to check it out.. THANKS!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%