Pricing On A Carved Cake

Decorating By kutabby Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 6:49pm by aimers

kutabby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kutabby Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 3

I'm just starting out and haven't had a request for a "carved" cake. She wants the cake in the shape of a cross - super easy shape to do! She also wants it half chocolate and half white. Now, do you charge for the cakes you baked, or the cake she's taking home. It's really no big deal b/c I'll just save the scraps for future cake balls. I just want to make sure I start off correctly.
So, what have you all done?
Thanks!!!

2 replies
Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 3

Okay I am a newbie, but most people charge per serving, so figure out the number of servings the cross will feed. And figure out how much per serving you charge for a carved cake of this difficulty level. Another option would be to use one of the serveral cross pans that you see, wilton has some I know. I hope this sounds right, there are a lot of people who will know a better answer on here! Doing a cross half and half is a new idea to me, good luck it will be great, keep us posted.

HTH
Alicia

aimers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aimers Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 3

A cross is pretty basic so you could charge per slice but if you are doing an actual carved cake like a dog or something crazy there is usually a lot of cake left on the floor so I charge $100.00 for a carved cake and then add on $1.50 to $3.00 per person it needs to feed. If I need to do a cake for 12 people but they want something very detailed it makes it worth my time, and energy. Cake for 12 that is very detailed will range from $118-$136.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%