Has Anyone Had Any Kind Of Facial/glycolic/chemical Peel?

Lounge By CambriasCakes Updated 14 Aug 2008 , 10:24pm by Pookie59

CambriasCakes Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 8

I'm about to turn 35 and I'm thinking it's time to have a little "something" done...NOT surgery though! My skin tone is a little un-even and I'm starting to get some age spots and have been researching peels. Have you ever had anything like this done and if so, what specifically did you have and were you happy with the results? I don't know anyone who's done it so I have no one to ask but all my CC friends!! TIA

7 replies
michellenj Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 8

A girl in my office had them done twice. She had some acne scars and large pores, and the peels really did improve her skin. She had them done on her first day of a 2 week vaca, and when she got back to work she was able to wear makeup, but her face looked red and "different" somehow. Eventually, it got to normal and looked nice. The next summer she had it done again, and it looked even better.

I just turned 38 and would like to do a few things, too!

staceyboots Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 8

i used to suffer from breakouts during my teenage years and ended up with damaged skin (lots of spots on my face). then, sometime last year, i started going to my local beautician for a chemical peel (i believe that it was once a month).

i began to see a subtle difference right away and over a course of treatment i was confident to go out without having to wear any makeup. The texture of my face was smooth and the spots were gradually disappearing.

however, i stopped going to the beautician once the new year opened and purchased an at-home kit glycolic kit by L'Oreal. Sad to say, i had a huge breakout around my jawline and haven't used the product since.

CambriasCakes Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 8

Hmmm...I found a home-kit online too by Skin Culture that's $185 but I'm too chicken to do it myself. I think it's a better idea to leave it to the professionals! I found a plastic surgeon that does a peel for $120...not that bad.

Michellenj - what kind of peel did your friend have? I hope I don't have to wait several months to see results!

michellenj Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 8

She just called it a chemical peel. They applied the chemical, left it on for a few minutes, then with a gigantic Q-tip, wiped it off. It may have been weeks, not months that her face was red, but 4 weeks is the minimum that she was red.

snowshoe1 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 8

Before you do anything like a chemical peel, talk to your derm about IPL treatments (I think it stands for intense pulse light therapy). Do a few sessions and you'll most likely notice a huge difference. You can do it during your lunch hour - no redness, no peeling, no special creams or ice packs. It feels like a little rubberband snapping against your skin when they do it.

Its great for any sun damaged skin (which is what most of us have anyway!).

jen1977 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 8:01pm
post #7 of 8

My derm recommended SilkPeel to me, but I haven't done it yet. It's supposed t obe gentler than a regular peel, but just as effective. The cost is what I can't get past though...I'm a sahm and have a hard time spending money on myself!

Pookie59 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 10:24pm
post #8 of 8

I think I'm way past the chemical peel stage. I was thinking more in terms of "Lifestyle Lift"... wonder how much that costs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%