Brite White Bc Recipe Question

Decorating By snowshoe1 Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 8:09pm by snowshoe1

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 13

Hi - I am curious about this recipe which seems to be rated highly. Here are the ingredients:

7 cups 6x powdered sugar (very important to use 6x)
1 cup Hi Ratio Shortening
1/2 cup water
2 TBS. Icing Base (Sometimes called Brite White)
1/2 tea. popcorn salt
1 to 2 tea. Magic Line Creme Bouquet
2 drops Vinegar ( stops cracking of icing)

I have a few questions on this if anyone can answer it would be greatly appreciated:

1) Why use 6x powdered sugar? From my understanding 6x means it's been sifted 6 times as opposed to what you get in the grocery store sifted 10 times. What is the advantage of 6x?

2) Searched the internet until I almost went blind looking for the Icing Base (aka Brite White) and can't find anywhere. Does anyone have a link?

Thanks in advance for any information.

12 replies
renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 13

I think countrykitchensa has something called bright white. I seen it when I was looking for gel food coloring. And I'm not sure about the p.sugar. sorr icon_confused.gif y

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 13

I've been wondering about brite white too!!!

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 13

Not sure about the brite white but the ps rating isn't how many times it is sifted. It is the size of the sugar "granuals". 10x is much smaller than 6x but 10x needs to have the cornstarch added to prevent clumping.

I guess the 6x is just pure sugar. Atl least that is what I have read.

HTH!

Amy

snowshoe1 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks much for the replies (and the clarification, Amy)!

Does anyone else know what the advantage is to using 6X in this recipe; and, what Brite White icing base is and where one would find it? TIA

tree45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tree45 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 13

I've picked up brite white at Hobby Lobby. It whitens the buttercream very well! HTH! Happy baking!

Amy729 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 13

The 6x is supposed to make a smoother icing but I have never tried it.

snowshoe1 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 7:40pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy729

The 6x is supposed to make a smoother icing but I have never tried it.

Thanks. Now I'm confused icon_confused.gif - I would assume if 6X is a larger grain then icing would be grittier?

Renee - thanks for the info on brite white - but I think this recipe is calling for something they refer to as an icing base; not a food coloring. Is what you bought at Hobby Lobby a coloring or a food base of some type?

Hmmm...maybe I should just forget about this recipe but it has 80+ ratings so I would assume someone here has made it.

Amy729 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 7:57pm
post #10 of 13

I haven't tried it but they say the cornstarch in the 10x makes a more gritty icing.

Rincewind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rincewind Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 8:01pm
post #12 of 13

I think there are a few different products like Brite White. I can't remember the exact names, but I think they are something like Angel White Base or maybe White Fudge Base or something... I just can't remember right now.

I made this recipe quite a while ago, but I couldn't get the Brite White (or the equivalent). I tried to order some from the S*garcraft and SweetC way back then, and they were both out of stock. I did some searching and found a link to where someone used marshmallow fluff in instead of the Brite White. It turned out fine, but I didn't like it more than the recipe I normally use. And-- as I said, I didn't have the Brite White, so I don't know what a difference that might make.

Good Luck!

Oh- http://www.nationalflavors.com/products.htm#icing Here's a link with icing bases! I've never ordered from them though.

snowshoe1 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 8:09pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks everyone! Looks like the Brite / Angel white stuff isn't readily available. Maybe I'll check with my local baker and see if he can get some for me. For some reason, I can never let anything drop when I'm on a 'mission' - icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%