Wow! Talk About A Bridezilla!!

Decorating By ccr03 Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 4:31pm by snowshoe1

ccr03 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 20

I came across this article and thought I'd share!

http://www.newsweek.com/id/140148?GT1=43001

19 replies
marmalade1687 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 20

Good Lord! As my Granny used to say..."some people have more money than brains!"

mixinvixen Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 20

i wouldn't even consider someone a friend if they thought that my size 10-12 be-hind would RUIN their wedding day! making me sign a prenup??? what the hell are they thinking???

i kinda liked the signature drink, but only if i made it up myself, and then had a friend serving it.

i love the whole kooky first dance thing, and i don't think it's tacky at all. it shows commitment to something, it brings a couple together, and it provides entertainment for the guests, other than that boring first dance that we all dread, standing around staring at these two people moving uncomfortably on the dance floor. i would have loved to have had a fun first dance, a video to look at for many many years, and a dance that i could pull up in my memory at other functions and wow the crowd with!!

the ice bar....ummmm...can you say "silk doesn't work well with water". why would i want a dripping bar?

i love the little cakes, but it is a teensy bit obnoxious...wish i'd had the money!

GeminiRJ Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 5:34pm
post #4 of 20

I worked with a woman who bemoaned the fact that one of her bridesmaids had gained a lot of weight, and this bride wasn't too happy about it! I took the bridesmaid's side...she had gained weight because she was using food to console herself after her mother died of cancer.

ccr03 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 7:06pm
post #5 of 20

Check it - if I ever win the lottery (before I get married) trust me, I'll be have a HUGE, over-the-top wedding - complete with signature drinks, centerpiece cakes and goregous flowers. But as a step down to reality - I know that's not going to happen, nor am I going to expect it! icon_wink.gif

But a bridesmaid pre-nup!?!? That is crazy!!!!

HerBoudoir Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 7:28pm
post #6 of 20

The dance idea is actually kind of a cute one, but the price quoted is a little steep.

I saw once dance studio (Philly suburbs) that offered to choreograph and teach the couple to dance to their chosen song for $100, which got you a 2 hour session to learn the dance, and a one hour session a week before the wedding as a "refresher".

margaretb Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 7:52pm
post #7 of 20

As the lawyer explained it, I can see the point of the bridesmaid prenup. After all, if you are the kind of person who is going to kick out your bridesmaid for gaining weight or getting too ugly, you probably have the kinds of friends who would sue you for it.

margaretb Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 8:00pm
post #8 of 20

Oh, and that $28,000 statistic drives me crazy. The average cost is meaningless, since there is no limit to how much the top spenders are going to spend. If 3 of us spend $5000 each on our weddings, and the 4th person spends $100,000, then the AVERAGE price of our weddings was $28,000. How is that reflective of the norm of our wedding spending? That would be insanely lavish for three of us and paltry for the fourth. I wonder how hard the wedding industry has to work to make sure that the AVERAGE cost is always used and not the MEAN (e.g. $5000 in my example). Geez, and I'm not even particularly good at statistics (this used up pretty much everything I know).

Reedsmomma Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 8:17pm
post #9 of 20

If a bridesmaid has to sign a bridesmaid pre-nup, that same bride should have to sign a bride pre-nup for the bridesmaids. If the marriage lasts less than a certain amount of time, the bridesmaid should be reimbursed for the cost of wedding expenses (dress, shoes, hair, nails, travel expenses, etc.). icon_razz.gif
Sorry...couldn't resist...

varika Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 8:27pm
post #10 of 20

Dude, if there were any bridesmaids prenups in my wedding, it would be more along the lines of, "you will not put condoms on my getaway car, and you will listen to the wedding planner at the rehearsal."

Really, I think this whole list of crap comes more from the increasingly annoying notion that "YOU HAVE JUST ONE DAY TO BE THE BEST OF YOUR LIFE AND IF THERE IS A FLY ON THE WALL IN THE BATHROOM IT IS RUINED AND YOUR LIFE WILL BE FLUSHED DOWN THE TOILET FOREVER!"

My wedding would take multiple years to plan and cost a bundle, but it would also be the most kick-a$$ party anybody had ever attended, because perfection would NOT be my goal. FUN would be.

(Also, to h*ll with ugly bridesmaids' dresses; I'm getting married and they're still advertising! icon_lol.gif )

Aliwis000 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 8:30pm
post #11 of 20

[quote="margaretb"] I wonder how hard the wedding industry has to work to make sure that the AVERAGE cost is always used and not the MEAN (e.g. $5000 in my example). quote]

I think you "mean" median. lol

Pre nups for bridesmaids..really? What is the world coming to?

fluttercakes Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 10:07pm
post #12 of 20

Our first dance was choreographed, and I'm so glad we did it since neither of us could dance a lick! We got nice ohhs and ahhs from our friends and family, and we practiced a lot so that we didn't look stupid! I was so proud of my DH that he endured all of the rehearsals and such...he was a trooper! We used my MIL's dance instructor...so it didn't cost us a cent (at least I wasn't told about it if it did icon_razz.gif).

Now, that bridesmaid pre-nup? Give me a friggin' break! No more then 7lbs?!?! That's freaking water weight gain! What's the bride gonna do, weigh everyone? You can't even tell if someone put on 7lbs (well depending on the person you might...I'm one of them)! Sheesh!

varika Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 10:22pm
post #13 of 20

Heh...I just had a thought...

My best friend is Italian, and her family is very....stereotypically large Italian family. So I'm having the thought now that she could use the threat of a bridesmaid prenup to scare off various busybody cousins from trying to be in the wedding party whether they're wanted or not!

icon_biggrin.gif

auntiekim82 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 10:46pm
post #14 of 20

Wow... icon_surprised.gif

tchrmom Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:15am
post #15 of 20

I thought the point of bridesmaids was to have people you want with you as you begin married life-- and to support you. I didn't think it was to create model-type pictures and make your friends feel bad. The other things seem frivolous to me, but at least don't seem mean. If you want them, and can afford them, your choice. I can't imagine spending that kind of money on a day. I think that's the problem-- everyone gets so focused on the day, they forget about the lifetime that is starting. Someone else mentioned this in way. NOTHING could have ruined my wedding day as long as my husband and the minister were there.

margaretb Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:51am
post #16 of 20

[quote="Aliwis000"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretb

I wonder how hard the wedding industry has to work to make sure that the AVERAGE cost is always used and not the MEAN (e.g. $5000 in my example). quote]

I think you "mean" median. lol

Pre nups for bridesmaids..really? What is the world coming to?

Well, I said I wasn't good at statistics!

snowshoe1 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:22pm
post #17 of 20

Bridesmaid pre-nup? Get a life...

Maybe someone should start a business where you can rent models of the appropriate size and shape to fill in for bridesmaids and grooms - who cares about friendship and family ties as long as everyone looks good icon_rolleyes.gif

ASimpleBaker Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:41pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoe1

Bridesmaid pre-nup? Get a life...

Maybe someone should start a business where you can rent models of the appropriate size and shape to fill in for bridesmaids and grooms - who cares about friendship and family ties as long as everyone looks good icon_rolleyes.gif

Sad to say, your suggestion might be the future. Except maybe the fact that the bride would not want to be outshown by her braidsmaids (As I have seen on a couple of those Bridezilla shows.) That might be the saving grace...lol icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

yelle66 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:44pm
post #19 of 20

I have to wonder what happens if a bridesmaid gets pregnant? Not to mention if they are making their bridesmaids sign this imagine what their groom is facing. icon_confused.gif

snowshoe1 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:31pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelle66

I have to wonder what happens if a bridesmaid gets pregnant? Not to mention if they are making their bridesmaids sign this imagine what their groom is facing. icon_confused.gif

I'm sure the groom has to sign something longer term. Probably something along the lines of never lose his hair, can't watch golf on Sundays, mother-in-law is always right, etc...

icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%