Air Brush - Create Glossy Finish

Decorating By ladybug76 Updated 14 Aug 2008 , 2:23pm by Loucinda

ladybug76 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 8

Hi!! Would anyone be willing to share how I would achieve a glossy (finish) shine on my cakes by using my airbrush? I heard once before about mixing vodka with luster (or pearl) dust, but I wasn't sure of the mixture amounts, etc. I have always been so nervous to try on a finished cake and time hasn't been on my side for me to just practice!!!
Thanks for any info!!
~ Jaime

7 replies
PinkZiab Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 8

You can buy an already mixed pearl luster spray for your airbrush. I can do it by mixing the dust into alcohol, but you run the risk of clogging the airbrush that way if the consistency is off.

bobhope Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 8

i haven't tried this yet but two days ago i saw metallic airbrush colors by chefmaster i think, at our local supply shop. maybe that would do the trick? icon_smile.gif ...

bobbie

Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 8

Americolor has come out with new Metallic lustre liquids for the airbrush this year.I have the pearl but there is also Silver,Gold and I have seen Red also!!

MORSELSBYMARK Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 10:50pm
post #5 of 8

Lucks makes great shimmer colors, has the widest variety of colors, and has just added black, orange and purple

ladybug76 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:25am
post #6 of 8

Thanks everyone for your help!!! Who needs to buy books, etc. when you have the best advice and teachers right here on CC!!!
~ Jaime

Loucinda Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 2:17pm
post #7 of 8

I have used the Bakers Preferred (from Bakery Craft) Pearl and the Americolor Silver (which is new) and both work great......brides love that pearl sheen!

Loucinda Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 2:23pm
post #8 of 8

I have used the Bakers Preferred (from Bakery Craft) Pearl and the Americolor Silver (which is new) and both work great......brides love that pearl sheen!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%