How Do You Make Buttercream Really Smooth Looking

Decorating By kathy777 Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 1:36pm by mamacc

kathy777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy777 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 12:35pm
post #1 of 8

i use a buttercream that doesnt crust well. And this is what she wants .. But with that said i know i can't use a paper towel... But i did see a video with someone ussing a putty knife.. Do you think thats a good idea and how many of you have used it?

7 replies
CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 12:51pm
post #2 of 8

Use a dry spatula that has been warmed with HOT water.
That will do it for you!

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 8

I recently did my daughter's birthday cake using a putty/joint knife. However, I used a crusting buttercream and it worked very well (not perfectly but that's me, LOL). I would try it or try putting a spatula in hot water, dry it off and quickly try smoothing.

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 12:55pm
post #4 of 8

Hi. I have used the dry hot spatula often and it works really really well. Also ~ Sugarshack's DVD on perfecting buttercream gives a flawless finish. (It's a series of steps. I don't know how much time you have before you have to complete this project.) HTH! icon_smile.gif

* edited for typo *

leannsloan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leannsloan Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 12:59pm
post #5 of 8

Sugarshack has a wonderful dvd on perfecting the art of buttercream I just got mine and it is so worth it you can get yours at www.sharonssugarshack.com I hope this helps it sure helped me

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:23pm
post #6 of 8

lots and lots of prayer icon_smile.gif just kidding but it never hurts to try!

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:29pm
post #7 of 8

One more tip. If you get a good chill on the cake, you may be able to use the paper towel. Just get the icing really cold.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:36pm
post #8 of 8

Everyone has their favorite way... I like to first get the cake even and fairly smooth. Then I spray it with a hot water bottle and smooth with a bowl scraper. I like the bowl scraper b/c it has some give to it so it doesn't leave marks on the cake when you are smoothing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%