Cakeboss Software

Business By Ellistwins Updated 5 Oct 2008 , 4:01am by BakingJeannie

Ellistwins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellistwins Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 6:09am
post #1 of 17

Hi
I have looked at the CakeBoss software and am quite impressed. Have any of you bought it and how do you find it?
I'll appreciate your feedback.
It is quite pricey and I don't want to buy something if it is not nice.
tx

16 replies
absolutecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
absolutecakes Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 6:36am
post #2 of 17

I love it! I'm able to see how much money I have made from specific categories of cakes, ie: wedding, birthday etc. I haven't used the recipe side of it yet, as I have had no time to enter everything, but keeping track of your orders, it works fantastic!

HTH

Katie

QueenBee1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenBee1 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:21am
post #3 of 17

I bought it earlier this year. I use it for entering recipes in order to track costs and determine pricing. I also use it to keep track of customers and generate personalized invoices. This has definitely helped give my business a more professional image. You can do a forum search for "Cake Boss" and you will find additional information since this topic comes up very often.

Also, the customer service is great. Any problems or questions are addressed very quickly by the developer who is also a Cake Central member.

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 1:23am
post #4 of 17

I love it. I have made up test customers with different receipe. That way I know how much each receipe cost me. It is well worth the money. I plan on going legal when I move, so this is helping me lay the ground work to figure up my prices.

keyshia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keyshia Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 1:35am
post #5 of 17

I'm glad you asked because I too wanted to get it! icon_smile.gif I did read a thread that she was going to be having a c-section, you might want to do a search for it because she may not be back at work yet? thought you might want to know. icon_smile.gif

Keyshia

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 3:18am
post #6 of 17

I have Cake Boss.
It really made me think about the costs of ingredients and how they add up.
I love the invoice. My son helped design a logo for me and it was easy to put on the program. It looks very professional.

It helps me think through why I do what I do.

Have you looked over the website?

Kelley is very nice and helpful. You would be able to contact her if you ran into a problem. (She is a new mom so she may need this week to recover.)

-Debbie B.

Sunbubbles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunbubbles Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 6:02pm
post #7 of 17

This sounds great! of course I will have to save up but I would love to give cake boss a try! icon_biggrin.gif

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 12:11am
post #8 of 17

Still waiting for the Mac version....

Chefperl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefperl Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:17pm
post #9 of 17

I found cake boss to be a "get what you pay for" product.
It is inexpensive and I am not impressed. Maybe I am not using it correctly but, I find it was a waste of money.
I saw a great program at the Bakery show in Atlantic city. I do wish though it gave you a place to put in cost, but it doesn't. The program is way out of my reach at $3500 but i will consider it when i open a shop.

aserrano259 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aserrano259 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 11:35pm
post #10 of 17

so i bought cake boss but for some reason it didn't ask me for a key code like it says on the site but i view the program and go into it but it's blank is it supoosed to be blank and I add my own things or how does it work. also it's not letting me see the how-to-videos it says make sure i have enough privlidges to run cake boss. can someone help me please........

thanks

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 12:17am
post #11 of 17

Chefperl - I am sorry you feel that way. We do not want any user to ever feel they wasted their money, which is why we offer a no-questions-asked 30 Day Money Back Guarantee. If there is something I can help you with to help you make better use of CakeBoss, please email me at [email protected]

aserrano259 - I have responded to you by email.

Bekah66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bekah66 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 4:45pm
post #12 of 17

Recently, both my hard drive and external hard drive were zapped and I lost EVERYTHING. Amazingly, the night before I was working in Cake Boss and read how easy it was to back up my info on Cake Boss, so I took the couple of minutes it took to back up and put on a travel drive, just in case. Next day, ZAP, everything gone. I was devasted. I went out, reinstalled Cake Boss, plugged in my travel drive, and all my customer/business info came up. I had other business/customer files on my pc, but without Cake Boss I would have been devasted! Thank you so much, Masters! I love it and will never regret buying this software. Not just due to this issue, but I love everything about it. It has taken a lot of stress out of this business! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:03pm
post #13 of 17

I do and do not like some of the things on cakeboss. I think that they are busy working on the upgrades so I will hang around a bit longer.

Things I do like: Ability to put in costs
Automatic tax addition
invoice

Things I do not like: There needs to be a form that will allow you to print monthy totals and taxes--currently I have to go through each invoice to see the total minus the taxes.
There needs to be a master ingredient list that updates the price, currently i do not thinkt he price updates porperly.
You need to be able to copy an invoice to create a new one. like i have repeating cupcake orders and i have to create a new invoice every single time.

Basic I use it as an invoicing tool, but I still have to put in quicken for tax info and I have to track my costs on an excel spread sheet.

To be fair though-perhaps I am just not using it right.

Thanks

Julia

CakeMommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommie Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 4:18am
post #14 of 17

I really wanted CakeBoss to work for me because I wanted something simpler than an excel spreadsheet, but I was a little disappointed. I wanted to be able to punch in what I pay for the whole package of flour and the whole bottle of vanilla etc. Instead, I found myself figuring out the cost of each tablespoon and cup of this and that. I can do that on my own anyway, so I didn't find Cake Boss very useful for me. Maybe Cake Boss can offer a Demo for future clients... I know I would have liked to see one.

BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:18pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommie

I really wanted CakeBoss to work for me because I wanted something simpler than an excel spreadsheet, but I was a little disappointed. I wanted to be able to punch in what I pay for the whole package of flour and the whole bottle of vanilla etc. Instead, I found myself figuring out the cost of each tablespoon and cup of this and that. I can do that on my own anyway, so I didn't find Cake Boss very useful for me. Maybe Cake Boss can offer a Demo for future clients... I know I would have liked to see one.

I feel the same, but I'm trusting if the creators made such a fine software, the upgrade will take care of these issues. A master ingredients price list would be super! I started to input my recipes and realize I had to have my calculator and the package handy to get the price. I have not opened the bakery, but making the prep ahead. Anyway, it has a beautiful interface...the good thing also, Cake Boss is listening and I am sure they are taking note. I love Cake Central thumbs_up.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:32pm
post #16 of 17

I really haven't been using mine, but it was after the 30 day guarantee that I found it wouldn't work for me. Its not that I think they made a bad software...its just that it seems their methods for record keeping and mine are different. I found the software calculates my prices very differently than I do....I charge per serving on some cakes and per unit on others...and I find if the software calculates it wrong, then I have to zero out everything and start all over. It ended up being more time consuming to use the software than to do it "my way". The way of organizing clientele was pretty good...but I found I wasn't opening it to do cake orders so I never ended up opening it to record clients, either.

I ended up just going back to my old method of scheduling cakes and I handwrite all my expenses and payments into a ledger book.

I think it would work great for some people...just not all.

BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 4:01am
post #17 of 17

Ooops! I forgot to quote myself...when I said that I was sure Cake Boss is listening...Well, well, well - three holes in the ground! The customer service is EXCELLENT! I'm sure it does not get any better. I am impress!

In other words, you are not wasting your money when you buy Cake Boss. It's worth the price, if only for the customer serivce.

Kelley, thanks again for your quick reply.

Jeannie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%