I Scheduled A Cake Before I Had The Next Convention Date...

Business By korkyo Updated 17 Aug 2008 , 1:31am by melodyscakes

korkyo Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:17am
post #1 of 11

I don't know what to do. icon_cry.gif

I scheduled a wedding cake before I realized the convention dates for 2009. I was really planning on going next year because it is close enough to drive.

Convention starts on a thursday and the wedding is that sat. Do you think it would be fresh enough if I did it thursday am and had my sister deliver it.

Would it be really bad if I cancled it and gave her back the deposit? She still has 11 months to plan it.

ARRGGHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... what would you do.

10 replies
chutzpah Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 4:34am
post #2 of 11

Cancel, give her the money and a list of other cake makers in your area.

korkyo Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 10:36am
post #3 of 11

I'm thinking the same thing.
Anyone else?

jmt1714 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 12:59pm
post #4 of 11

i would definitely help her find someone who will provide a similar cake for a similar price . . . otherwise I'd think you could be liable if it costs her twice as much for the same cake if she has to go somewhere else.

CoutureCakeCreations Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:04pm
post #5 of 11

I personally would do the leg work. Find out who can do the same cake for the same price in my area and then let her know that you cant do the cake but have found someone who can do the same. Give her their info and let her handle it from there.

jlh Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:10pm
post #6 of 11

If I were the customer, and you gave me some great names of folks (who were available that weekend), I would be fine with it. Eleven months is plenty of time.

valbos22 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:13pm
post #7 of 11

I agree-- you do the legwork to find comparable cake/costs and she should be fine with it.

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:36pm
post #8 of 11

I had to cancel a wedding cake back in May that was scheduled for this December. I really felt bad about doing it but I didn't have a choice since I was selling my shop. I just called her and told her that I had to cancel her order due to extreme unforseen circumstances and then I mailed her a check for the amount of the deposit (certified mail). I didn't check out other bakers....I'm sure I wasn't the only bakery she contacted before she chose mine so she definately had some other leads.

melodyscakes Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 5:34pm
post #9 of 11

that is a bummer.
when is convention next year? I want to go also

Korko, I have an employee that works for me....so I can do your brides cake.....and go to convention, let me know.
I am going to try to save some money for next year, and plan ahead so I can go since its not too far away.
call me, 913-233-2253
or email me, I'll give bride the same price you did.

korkyo Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 8:51pm
post #10 of 11

Melody, I was going to call you! I just got back from vacation. I'll call monday.

melodyscakes Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 1:31am
post #11 of 11

cool beans. (does that date me or what?) hahah
I have an awesome decorator that works for me, so the cake will be in good hands! I want to go to convention, depends on the money situation.

Quote by @%username% on %date%