I Don't Now What I Am Doing Wrong With My Mmf! Please Help!!

Decorating By Frankyola Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 5:29am by JanH

Frankyola Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:50am
post #1 of 10

Hi can anyh body help me? i don't know what is wrong I try and try the MMF but when I am ready to roll it It start breaking and all I have is pieces of MMF. I do step by step what the recipe says but I can't get a nice circle to cover my cake. icon_cry.gificon_redface.gificon_cry.gif

Thank You in advance
Frankyia (frankyola2006@hotmail.com)

9 replies
saap1204 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:55am
post #2 of 10

What recipe are you using? There are a few variations of the MMF.

Frankyola Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:20am
post #3 of 10

This is what I use: :

Marshmallow fondant

1 cup mini marshmallows, 1 tbsp water, 1 1/2- 1 3/4 cup powder sugar

Place marshmallows in a standard 1 cup measuring cup and push down and pack them in. Place in a microwave safe bowl and add the water. Put in the microwave for about 20 seconds. Just long enough for them to soften and puff up. Take out and stir with a spoon until it is combined well. At this point it looks kind of soupy. Then add the sugar and mix and fold until all is incorporated and it is no longer sticky. I take it out of the bowl when it gets to the point where most of the sugar is incorporated and I knead it in my hands. This takes roughly about 5-7 minutes.

Thank You so much for your response.

Frankyia icon_redface.gif

beth2027 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:32am
post #4 of 10

I have a very similar problem and use the same recipe. I have tried it a couple of different times and finally just quit. It's like it dries out too quickly and then it breaks all up when you are trying to put it on the cake.
So basically, I am asking for an answer to the very same question. CC people, help us! icon_cry.gif

tamrick Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:38am
post #5 of 10

I only made it a couple of times, and had the same problems. I am a little leary on trying it again. Maybe I can learn a couple of tricks too!

margiebirds Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:38am
post #6 of 10

That seems like a lot of sugar for the amount of marshmallow and water. I use a full pound of marshmallows and 3 Tablespoons water to 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 pounds powdered sugar. These portions work well for me.

MacsMom Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:41am
post #7 of 10

Eeek icon_eek.gif - only 1 cup MM's?

My recipe for MMF
Grease microwave safe bowl
16 oz bag mini MMs
2 T water
**melt in micro 1 min, stir**
1 t popcorn salt, or grind your own salt in coffee grinder.
1 dram of LoRann butter flavor for a fabulous BC flavor, or 1 to 2 teaspoons of another flavoring.
Food coloring, if needed.
Gradually stir in
2 lbs PS - start kneading when it gets too hard to stir.

Let rest a few hours. Soften in microwave a few seconds at a time, knead, roll.

ladycake17 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:51am
post #8 of 10

When your MMF gets to dry and starts breaking apart or crumbling, just add a little bit of water until it gets to a good consistency. Thats all I do and it works really good!

Frankyola Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:19am
post #9 of 10

Thank You so much for all your help I will try againg and I will let you guys how was it.

Thank you guys again for your help you are the BEST!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

JanH Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 5:29am
post #10 of 10

Duplicate post, for other responses, please see:

Quote by @%username% on %date%