Random Placement

Decorating By ombaker Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 3:02am by PinkZiab

ombaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ombaker Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 5

Is there a method or rule of thumb for random placement of decorations on sides of cakes? I know that would make them not random but any time I try to achieve this look it ends up looking like a mess.

THX

Irene

4 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 12:17am
post #2 of 5

I assume you mean things like fondant cut-outs, polka dots, stars, etc? I really think you just have to have an eye for it. One tip I can give is, don't start on one side of the cake and try to work your way around in one direction. I get it up on the turntable, have all my cut-outs of varying sizes ready to go in plastic folders, and I spin that cake back and forth and just start sticking where I think it needs to be stuck! lol I usually start with the largest size cut-outs and work down to the smaller ones as fillers.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:05am
post #3 of 5

I try to space things far apart but somewhat even. Then fill in from there.

Jen icon_smile.gif

ombaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ombaker Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:17am
post #4 of 5

Thx, yes I do mean stars and circles etc. I do the same and always think it looks good but when I stand back when I'm finished I am never happy. Trying again tomorrow, we'll see what happens!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:02am
post #5 of 5

just go crazy! lol blog.pinkcakebox.com has a lot of polka dot and flower cut out cakes and toppers... take a look at them... there's no pattern or method to it--they're just stuck on (trust me, I know--some of those dots were laid by my hands lol). You'll get it. Just relax, have fun, and don't overthink it! Post a pic when you can so we can maybe see where it's going wrong... or if it even is (we are always our own biggest critics).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%