Any Bad Experiences With The Sps System?

Decorating By Lori2240 Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 3:11pm by 7yyrt

Lori2240 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 27

I am deciding if I want to do a 3 tier stacked wedding cake using the SPS system as opposed to doweling. I have heard good things and wanted to see if anyone had any bad experiences with it or any feedback that would influence my decision one way or another. Thanks!!

26 replies
cakemommy Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 4:13am
post #2 of 27

Here is a bump for you. I posted in another thread about my inquiry into the SPS system. I'd like to know more as well!!!

Here's hoping you get your answer!!!

Amy

cakequeen50 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 4:29am
post #3 of 27

I have been using the SPS system for well over 10 years and only 1 accident. Hubby took the "u" exit way too fast. So 1 accident in hundreds of cakes.....pretty good odds in my opinion.

Tashablueyes Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 5:54am
post #4 of 27

I want the SPS! I keep hearing rave reviews it's just so darn expensive! I so wish someone could come up with a less expensive version.

Lori2240 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:03pm
post #5 of 27

Tasha, I think there 2 different systems. I believe there is a Stress Free System and the SPS separator plate system. The Stress Free costs a lot of cash, but the SPS runs only around $20/ cake. Please someone chime in if I am incorrect. I am also new to hearing about both. I do agree that 1 accident out of all the ones you did are pretty good odds (except maybe the recipient of that cake wouldnt agreeicon_wink.gif Thanks!

emrldsky Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:03pm
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashablueyes

I want the SPS! I keep hearing rave reviews it's just so darn expensive! I so wish someone could come up with a less expensive version.

Are you sure you're not confusing SPS with SFS? You can purchase all the plates and legs for the SPS system for a 3-tier cake for under $20, and SPS stands for single plate system. http://globalsugarart.com/search.php?search=sps

SFS (stress free system) is actually really expensive: http://www.earlenescakes.com/newringsupportset.htm

Lori2240 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:56pm
post #7 of 27

So, it kinda looks like there isnt too much negative feedback associated with it so far.... question for those who use the separator plates, do you still put your cake on a thicker foamcore cakeboard and then on the plate? Or just the plate? Thanks!!!

cakequeen50 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:04pm
post #8 of 27

You put your cake on a regular thickness cake cardboard. I prefer to foil mine but you don't have to.

cakemommy Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 4:41pm
post #9 of 27

I put my cakes on a single cake cardboard while it is still warm to give extra stability for the cake.

Amy

Lori2240 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 6:11pm
post #10 of 27

Why while it is still warm? To help it adhere to the board? Also, on the bottom tier, do you do anything to afix the bottom separator to the cakeboard? Please excuse my stupidity, I have just never seen or used it before. Thanks!

cakemommy Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 7:31pm
post #11 of 27

Definately to help adhere to the cardboard. Just so I don't have to use frosting to "glue" it on. Just put it on when the cake comes out of the oven and you flip it after a few minutes. When I place the tier on the separator plate I use frosting to "glue" it to the tier. RI works best of course but if I don't have any made then BC works fine for me. What I learned but haven't done in a while is you can use a non-string glue gun to place a small amt. of glue on the center of the separator plate and then immediately place the tier on the plate. The glue is a pain sometimes though to get off though but it does work.

I am interested in the SPS or other system for the sheer fact that it doesn't take away any or hardly any servings!!! I just need to get a few more cakes under my belt to justify buying the system.

Amy

Tashablueyes Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 8:30pm
post #12 of 27

emrldsky I think I may have been confusing the two price wise, but I swear I checked on the SPS and I'd have to buy all new plates and pillars

tatetart Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 8:32pm
post #13 of 27

Stress Free Supports are worth every penny you invest in them.

I made a 14" golf ball cake and used the SFS to stablize it! It didn't budge!

http://cakesdusoleil.blogspot.com/2008/05/great-tools-make-life-easier-for-cake.html

If you explain to your bride that the system provides stability and prevents shifting, she will be more than happy to pay a deposit.
When she returns the SFS, then give her back the deposit.

It is worth the money!! thumbs_up.gif REALLY!! icon_biggrin.gif

JodieF Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 8:54pm
post #14 of 27

I bought the SPS specifically for this cake because it was such a monster and so heavy!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1254183

Even after an elderly woman stumbled into the cake table, the cake didn't budge. I'll never use anything else again for a stacked cake!

Jodie

leah_s Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 9:07pm
post #15 of 27

SPS is great!! Anyone who doesn't understand how it works is welcome to email me for the instructions. I can sense from some of the questions that some of you don't have the instruction sheet. SPS is very inexpensive and very sturdy and insanely easy to use.

JodieF Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 9:14pm
post #16 of 27

Leah...I appreciate the instructions you sent. It made a very stressful cake much less stressful! Thanks again! I would be very flattered if you'd take a look at what I came up with for the 50th anniversary cake.
Your cakes are SO beautiful!

Jodie

Tweedie Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 9:17pm
post #17 of 27

leahs -

I just used the SPS for the first time last weekend. I really liked it but had problems with being able to find the little nub on the plate and getting the cardboard on it. I'm not really sure we ever got either tier actually on that nub. Am I missing something....is there some sort of trick? Other than that I liked using it.

leah_s Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 9:37pm
post #18 of 27

Yes, Tweedie, there is a trick. Do you have my instruction sheet?

turnerdmann Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 9:48pm
post #19 of 27

Leahs is the instruction sheet posted here on CC? I'd like to see it also.

Thanks,
Darlene

Tweedie Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 11:37pm
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Yes, Tweedie, there is a trick. Do you have my instruction sheet?

I do have your instruction sheet and we followed it to the T but still didn't hit the right place. Maybe it's us!

leah_s Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 11:55pm
post #21 of 27

Did you enlarge the hole with the skewer?

Tweedie Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:59am
post #22 of 27

I did enlarge the hole...I didn't make it huge, but definitely big enough to easily fit over the peg. The whole process of getting one layer on top of the other was pretty precarious and then trying to make sure it was on that peg made it even more nervewracking.

I really want to figure it out because I like the whole setup. Maybe we just need to practice with it?

leah_s Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:32am
post #23 of 27

Possibly. Seriously I can stack a four tier cake in under 4 minutes with SPS. I still have to border of course, but the stacking is way easy.

7yyrt Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:35am
post #24 of 27

I don't see any difference in the SPS. It just looks like normal separator plates and columns with the addition of a little nub in the middle of the plate.
What am I not seeing?

Katie-Bug Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:11am
post #25 of 27

I have purchased the set, well actually several, but I too don't think I've got the hang yet!
The two I have done made it to the delivery, but where very wobbly, I really thought the last one was going to crash, it just kept shaking.

Maybe I am doing something wrong...I think I am following the instructions. icon_rolleyes.gif

leah_s Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 11:11am
post #26 of 27

Well, the legs fit into the plate, very tightly, so much so that they nearly "lock" into place. This is most unlike the Wilton system that is loosey goosey.

Because the legs and plates are physically tied together, the legs can not shift off vertical as dowels can. Dowels shifting off true vertical is a prime reason cakes fall.

If you bake to height, then you do not have to cut the legs. This is unlike dowels or the Wilton plastic legs that you have to cut. Cutting, and not getting the legs exactly the same height, or cutting on even a very slight angle can easily result in a leaning cake or a fall. This idea is to use the legs as they come, precut from the factory.

Because you center the plates in the tiers first, then your cake will automatically be centered as you stack it. This is unlike dowels in that you don't drop your tier and hope it's in the center. Or worse have to pick it up and try a second time. Remember if you take your spatula and nudge the tier over a wee bit, you have moved the tier, but the odds are you have also nudged the dowels, moving them off true vertical. See prime reason cakes fall above.

Because you can slide the tiers into place on the SPS plate, you don't leave finger marks on the bottom of the tier that have to be repaired.

That little nub works wonders by grabbing onto the cardboard.

Unlike another system, it's way cheap and can be added to the cost of the cake.

It's disposable, so nothing for customers to return - which they love.

And even it's you get some wobble, it won't fall down. (like Weebles! haha remember those?) Anyway, I had a customer pick up a three tier wedding cake a couple of weeks ago. I pick it up for her. I said, look this isn't going to move. Then I set the cake back down on the counter, put my hand under the board and tilted it probably 30 degrees. She looked scared. I set it down and said, See it's not going to move, You'll be fine. Then she understood that the cake was going to hold together. You might demonstrate that maneuver with SFS, but would you do that in front of a customer with a doweled cake?

And for all those who spike/center dowel. I've always said there's a lot of false promise in that plan. If your cake started going over, the center dowel will stay embedded in the bottom board and tear thru your cake.

7yyrt Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:11pm
post #27 of 27

I see...
Thank you for the information. I need some new plates, I'm going to try these. I hate the wibble-wobble, and worrying about the darn dowels.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%