Strawberry Cake/chocolate Frosting Combo... Help!

Baking By MemphisMom9801 Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 3:16pm by Pookie59

MemphisMom9801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MemphisMom9801 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 9

My neighbor has requested a strawberry cake with chocolate frosting. I suggested a white chocolate frosting but I believe she has in mind the traditional chocolate frosting. Has anyone tried this combo? Does anyone have a recipe that you would share? Please help... the cake is due on Friday. Thanks so much!!

8 replies
shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 9

I think it would taste well. Kinda like chocolate covered strawberries.

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:44pm
post #3 of 9

HI I HAVE DONE THIS COMBO IN THE PAST. I HAVE USED A STRAWBERRY CAKE (CAN PUT FILLING IN IT,IF THAT IS WHAT THEY WANT) AND I COVERED IT WITH CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM, AND THEN DRIZZLED CHOCOLATE GENACHE ON TOP AND THEN PUT SOME CHOCOLATE COVERED STRAWBERRIES ON THE TOP. IT WAS YUMMY, AND SEEMED TO BE LIKE A CHOCOLATE COVERED STRAWBERRY. HOPE THIS HELPS..BY THE WAY I PUT THE GENACHE IN THE MIDDLE OF MINE.

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 9

You could ice it with strawberry buttercream and then cover that with chocolate ganache. That way the chocolate isn't overpowering.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:58pm
post #5 of 9

Apetrice's version sounds yummy to me!

keyshia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keyshia Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 9

Did you need a recipe for the chocolate frosting or the strawberry cake? I use the one that's in the recipe section, I think it's called strawberry cake from scratch...anyway, I LOVE it! For chocolate buttercream, I use the wilton 50/50 butter shortening recipe...it's never let me down. icon_biggrin.gif Good luck!

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 10:01pm
post #7 of 9

The strawberry -chocolate combination sounds delicious.

I bet it will be very pretty when they cut it. Pink and brown always look so nice together. icon_biggrin.gif

-Debbie B.

MemphisMom9801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MemphisMom9801 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 12:38am
post #8 of 9

Thanks y'all! I've never made ganache... is it easy? Does anyone have a good recipe? I have a recipe for strawberry cake and buttercream already. I appreciate the help. icon_smile.gif

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:16pm
post #9 of 9

Ganache is the BOMB. It's easy and so elegant.

Heat 3/4 c heavy cream to boiling. Pour over 8 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate (chopped fine). Stir until smooth. Cool 10 minutes to use as a glaze, longer to use as an icing (it thickens as it cools). You may have to experiment a little to get the consistency right. I had intended to use it as a drippy look over a cake, but it was so thick that I just iced the whole thing (worked out great).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%