Strawberry Cake/chocolate Frosting Combo... Help!

Baking By MemphisMom9801 Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 3:16pm by Pookie59

MemphisMom9801 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 9

My neighbor has requested a strawberry cake with chocolate frosting. I suggested a white chocolate frosting but I believe she has in mind the traditional chocolate frosting. Has anyone tried this combo? Does anyone have a recipe that you would share? Please help... the cake is due on Friday. Thanks so much!!

8 replies
shanasweets Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 9

I think it would taste well. Kinda like chocolate covered strawberries.

apetricek Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:44pm
post #3 of 9

HI I HAVE DONE THIS COMBO IN THE PAST. I HAVE USED A STRAWBERRY CAKE (CAN PUT FILLING IN IT,IF THAT IS WHAT THEY WANT) AND I COVERED IT WITH CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM, AND THEN DRIZZLED CHOCOLATE GENACHE ON TOP AND THEN PUT SOME CHOCOLATE COVERED STRAWBERRIES ON THE TOP. IT WAS YUMMY, AND SEEMED TO BE LIKE A CHOCOLATE COVERED STRAWBERRY. HOPE THIS HELPS..BY THE WAY I PUT THE GENACHE IN THE MIDDLE OF MINE.

Pookie59 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 9

You could ice it with strawberry buttercream and then cover that with chocolate ganache. That way the chocolate isn't overpowering.

michellenj Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:58pm
post #5 of 9

Apetrice's version sounds yummy to me!

keyshia Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 9

Did you need a recipe for the chocolate frosting or the strawberry cake? I use the one that's in the recipe section, I think it's called strawberry cake from scratch...anyway, I LOVE it! For chocolate buttercream, I use the wilton 50/50 butter shortening recipe...it's never let me down. icon_biggrin.gif Good luck!

DebBTX Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 10:01pm
post #7 of 9

The strawberry -chocolate combination sounds delicious.

I bet it will be very pretty when they cut it. Pink and brown always look so nice together. icon_biggrin.gif

-Debbie B.

MemphisMom9801 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 12:38am
post #8 of 9

Thanks y'all! I've never made ganache... is it easy? Does anyone have a good recipe? I have a recipe for strawberry cake and buttercream already. I appreciate the help. icon_smile.gif

Pookie59 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:16pm
post #9 of 9

Ganache is the BOMB. It's easy and so elegant.

Heat 3/4 c heavy cream to boiling. Pour over 8 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate (chopped fine). Stir until smooth. Cool 10 minutes to use as a glaze, longer to use as an icing (it thickens as it cools). You may have to experiment a little to get the consistency right. I had intended to use it as a drippy look over a cake, but it was so thick that I just iced the whole thing (worked out great).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%