Stacking Cakes

Decorating By cakeaday Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 12:19am by CoutureCakeCreations

cakeaday Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a 10 inch double layer cake and then am putting a sports ball cake on top of that. Do I need to put it on a support? What is the best way to do this. Thanks in advance!

5 replies
BabyBear3 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 6

I would think that you would need to. Doing just a simple rod support should be fine.

I"m not positive though -- I'm still new at this too.

ski Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 6

I would just put a dowel rod in middle with board like you do for a small stacked. I do that all the time.

Staceface81 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 12:08am
post #4 of 6

I've made a few of these types of cakes.....I put a cake circle under the 1/2 ball pan for stability. Then I use about 5 dowels for support in the bottom cake.....normally I just use lolly-pop sticks since the top cake isn't that heavy.

jibbies Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 12:19am
post #5 of 6

Are you planning on transporting this cake past your front porch ? If so you can either put it together when you get to the venue, (remember there is always touch up work when you assemble a cake and not everyone feels comfortable/experienced enough to do this with spectators) or you can dowel the bottom for support and then sharpen a dowel that will go all the way through the ball cake and the base cake and touches the bottom cake board.

Jibbies

CoutureCakeCreations Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 12:19am
post #6 of 6

I would definatly use dowels!you never know!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%