Stacking Cakes

Decorating By cakeaday Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 12:19am by CoutureCakeCreations

cakeaday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaday Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a 10 inch double layer cake and then am putting a sports ball cake on top of that. Do I need to put it on a support? What is the best way to do this. Thanks in advance!

5 replies
BabyBear3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyBear3 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 6

I would think that you would need to. Doing just a simple rod support should be fine.

I"m not positive though -- I'm still new at this too.

ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 6

I would just put a dowel rod in middle with board like you do for a small stacked. I do that all the time.

Staceface81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staceface81 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 12:08am
post #4 of 6

I've made a few of these types of cakes.....I put a cake circle under the 1/2 ball pan for stability. Then I use about 5 dowels for support in the bottom cake.....normally I just use lolly-pop sticks since the top cake isn't that heavy.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 12:19am
post #5 of 6

Are you planning on transporting this cake past your front porch ? If so you can either put it together when you get to the venue, (remember there is always touch up work when you assemble a cake and not everyone feels comfortable/experienced enough to do this with spectators) or you can dowel the bottom for support and then sharpen a dowel that will go all the way through the ball cake and the base cake and touches the bottom cake board.

Jibbies

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 12:19am
post #6 of 6

I would definatly use dowels!you never know!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%