How To Make A Seafoam Effect

Decorating By embolism99 Updated 11 Aug 2008 , 9:55pm by jules1719

embolism99 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 5

I'm planning a fabulous very professional looking cake. My issue is that on the layer representing the ocean, I would like to create a "seafoam" effect that is very realistic. I don't know how to create something that looks like white pearly bubbles with blue undertones like you have when the waves wash up on the shore. Should this just be icing with a certain tip, or can I do something more sophisticated? Ideas?

4 replies
pennywells Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 5

I use rock candy crushed up fine with some bigger chunks and put on the edges where the water washes up. I use a combination of clear and blue. If you don't have a candy store that has rock candy I have also done the same thing with hard tac candy.

valbos22 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 5

I saw this recipe this weekend but I am not sure if it would produce the effect you are looking for:
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/cakefrostG/sea-foam-frosting.html

Jayde Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:51pm
post #4 of 5

I am not quite sure how to describe how I do it, but I will try...I take a clean bowl and put 3 different colors of icing in it. One dark, one medium, and one slightly off white. The dark and medium can be any color of blue/aqua that you want.

I take the edges and mix together, a little of the white with the medium, and a little of the medium with the dark. I use a flat brush, about 1 inch wide, and load up my brush with icing like its paint. I then just brush it on my surface, making a little divot. Kind of a brush down then lift up motion. I make sure to load the brush with the colors so that the white comes out last on the edge of the wave. I wish I had a good picture to show you, I will try to remember to post it here whenever I get one on my computer.

jules1719 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 5

You can buy a sea sponge and sponge lustre onto the sides of the cake. You can layer several colors for depth. You can paint circles (bubbles) first then use the sponge technique to mute them. The coarser the sponge, the better the effect.

Alternately you could make aqua or blue bubble sugar, which is basically isomalt sprinkled on a silpat and baked just until it melts and starts to flow together. But that would be more of an applied decoration rather than an overall side decoration.

I wonder if you could thin piping gel and put it through a soda dispenser? It might be worth a try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%