My First Wedding And My First Disaster -- Long

Decorating By WebDiva Updated 11 Aug 2008 , 11:32pm by seasonsmoke

WebDiva Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 7

I did my first wedding cake for my SIL, who's wedding was this past Saturday. I prepared all week and my cakes were iced and ready for decorating when we drove them 3 hours away on Friday morning/afternoon. They arrived safe and sound after us freezing in the a/c on the way there. I dropped them off at an aunt's house (in the cool, dark basement) with explicit instructions that they were not to be touched. We headed off to the rehearsal and dinner.

Saturday morning, I show up at the aunt's house ready to pipe the designs on the sides of the cake and they aren't where I left them. They have been moved upstairs to the dining room table. I FREAK. No one called me to warn me that they were moving them.

I open the boxes. The cakes were lifted from the sides (not supporting the bottom). The largest was a 16", which I open first. I used all shortening icing, but it has softened up which meant that the 16" and the 12" had sort of collapsed under their own weight and because they were not well supported when they were moved, they have shifted a bit. Icing was bulging from the sides.

I was distraught. Meanwhile, my 7 month old is crying the entire time...she usually doesn't act that way, but I guess she could tell I was upset. My husband could not calm her. We decided to take the cakes to the reception site and work on them there. I decided that there was no way that I could do my planned piping on the sides (a scroll pattern that I had pinpricked on the sides before transporting) and I would have to figure out something else. On the way, we see a Michaels and I tell him to stop. I run out and get some ribbon and some decorative beads in a flower shape.

I get to the reception site and try to salvage what I could. I had plenty of spare icing, but the icing on the cakes was just too soft. I had the hotel place them in their fridge, but I ran out of time. I got the cakes out and tried to smooth out the icing as best as I could. I cried and cried. I was so upset because I have never made a cake for someone that looked so poorly in my opinion. In the end, I wrapped some ribbon around the tiers, stuck in the flower shaped beads and called it a day. It was just before 3:00 and the wedding started at 4. I had to run up and get dressed (I was also in the wedding). We pulled out in our car right behind the limo.

My wonderful husband had already talked to his sister about the catastrophe and she was very understanding. The family had been nothing but drama the entire time the wedding was being planned...so I guess this was just the icing on the cake, literally and figuratively. LOL. All in all, the wedding turned out very nice and no one even noticed that the cake was not what it should have been. But still I feel just awful about it. My MIL called last night and said that she hadn't even known that anything had happened until Sunday when someone told her.

Oh, I forgot...the reason that they moved the cakes...apparently they have ant problems. Why someone would send me with cakes to a house with ant issues is beyond me. icon_rolleyes.gif

6 replies
darandon Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 7

What a stressful time for you. Ants - they could have given you some warning.

muddpuppy Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 7

My dh has heard a million times "Support the bottom middle! Support the BOTTOM!!" while he helps me move cakes. Everytime I see someone going to move a box holding the sides I want to and usually do, yell at them!! lol.. I'm sorry for your experience. icon_sad.gif so frustrating.....

DebBTX Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 7

Wow, that sounds like a stressful day. (An Advil kind of day.)
You did everything right, even preparing where to pipe the design. You just could not control what was going on with others. Having to do a cake long distance has its own set of challenges. icon_smile.gif
I bet looking back you are glad you didn't open the boxes to find swarms of ants all over your cakes. But, I am with you. They should have asked you to either leave them somewhere else, or let you move them. I guess they were being helpful.
Did the aunt realize what they had done?
It sounds like everyone loved the final result. You must have done an excellent Plan B job. Congratualtions for stepping up to the plate and giving the Bride a beautiful cake.

-Debbie B.

Melvira Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 10:37pm
post #5 of 7

Good Lord... it's MILLER time!! You poor thing! Good job not shooting someone though, really! icon_lol.gif

thedessertdiva Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 10:42pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebDiva

I dropped them off at an aunt's house

Oh, I forgot...the reason that they moved the cakes...apparently they have ant problems.

Not to make light of your situation, because we all have had "THE Disaster..." and I am so sorry it happened to you, but isnt if funny how you said they had Ant problems...

Ant or Aunt?

icon_wink.gif

icon_lol.gif

seasonsmoke Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 11:32pm
post #7 of 7

I'm very sorry to hear of the problems you had with this cake. They ment well by trying to move them away from the ants. But like you said. Why would they have you leave the cake there in the 1st place.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%