Black Royal Icing

Decorating By Chefperl Updated 11 Aug 2008 , 11:50pm by sweet_2th_fairy

Chefperl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefperl Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 7

I have a hard time making black icing in general, it always looks purple. So i started making chocolate buttercream and turning that black. But how can i make royal icing black? I need it for the outline of cookies.
thanks
-S

6 replies
mbalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbalis Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 7

I use the Super Black from Americolor. A few drops will do ya! Same with their Super Red - no more lame pink icing!!

icon_smile.gif

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 7

I actually just make some of my RI chocolate and dye it black like I do with buttercream.

cakeladyem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyem Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 7

Ditto on what mbalis said. I LOVE americolor super black. That stuff is the best, it makes it actually black, not gray, and you don't have to use that much.

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 7

Americolor all the way! I'm waiting for the UPS man for my first order from Ck Products! Yeah!

diabolicdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diabolicdesire Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 7

I had some purple royal icing made up already and needed black so experimenting I added the black to the purple and it worked great. It was so easy.

sweet_2th_fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 11:50pm
post #7 of 7

I had this issue recently and bought some ready made black Wilton frosting. I diluted it a bit with water and used it for my outlines. I've also used Wilton's black icing gel for really small details. However, the black icing gel did not harden. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%