Please Help! First Wedding Cake And I Need A Good Recipe!!

Baking By jamie-2 Updated 20 Aug 2008 , 11:38pm by SueB

jamie-2 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 7

I am doing a three tier wedding cake for some friends of mine. It's my first wedding cake, and I need a GOOD dark chocolate cake recipe that will be FIRM enought to be the bottom tier, and support the top two cakes.
I will be using cake dowels, but still would perfer the cake to be nice and firm.
I'm also planning to fill it with some sort of a whoopie pie filling- I have a recipe for that but WELCOME all the advice I can get.

Thank you in advance for your help!!

6 replies
cakemommy Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:55am
post #2 of 7

I have a good cinnamon buttermilk chocolate cake recipe that is a firm cake. It's so tasty too!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Oh, just reread your post. It's not a dark chocolate recipe. It's made with cocoa powder. Ooops! The chocolate cake recipe on the back of Hershey's Cocoa Powder is a great chocolate recipe. Not as firm as the cinnamon buttermilk one but ohhh so good!!!!

spunkybear Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:18am
post #3 of 7

I highly recommend the Darn Good Chocolate Cake recipe found on this site!!! It is a doctored mix recipe and I always use a dark mix. It is beyond yummy, super moist and works well to stack. I just did a 3 tier 14-10--8 this past weekend and it was the 14. I will say I do use 1/2 Hershey syrup and 1/2 milk when I make it. Did I mention how yummy it is?????
BTW, I have filled it with many different things and have yet to be dissapointed. Cherry, raspberry and my personal favorite nutella and whipped ganache!!!! thumbs_up.gif

SueB Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:29am
post #4 of 7

I second the use of the Darn Good Chocolate Cake recipe from the Cake Mix Doctor book. I use Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mix and then add the other ingredients. Everyone raves about this chocolate cake. It is very moist and sturdy.

cherrycakes Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:42pm
post #5 of 7

Is the Darn Good Chocolate cake good to use with fondant?

sweetparty Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 7

I highly recommend that you use a blackberry chocolate filling. Last year I won a very important prize in my country with this mixture of flavors. I called it chocoberry cake.
It´s very easy, if you send me your e mail I´ll forward the recipe.
I can guarantee that everyone will love it!!

SueB Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 11:38pm
post #7 of 7

Charisse8355, I have never made the Darn Good Chocolate cake with fondant before...I can't imagine why it wouldn't be good though. Of course you would need to spread some buttercream or chocolate buttercream on the cake before applying the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%