Importance Of Customer Endorsements On Website?

Business By Bonnie151 Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 9:46pm by varika

Bonnie151 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnie151 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 27

How important do you feel it is to have a variety of customer endorsements/positive feedback/comments on your website?

I only have a few on my site at the moment. I personally don't pay any attention to "What Our Customers Say" sections on websites as the cynic in me says that pretty much anyone could do a good enough job at some point to get good feedback & how do I know it's not from friends or family anyway? (told you I'm a cynic icon_razz.gif ).

However, lots of sites have tons of endorsements on them so how much importance should I place on asking customers whether I can put their feedback on my website. I'll admit that I hate asking, but if it is important to everyone other than me, I'll do it.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

26 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 27

I'm not a big fan of the "What our customers say" sections for the reasons you outlined, however, I do like guestbooks and letters/notes. I'm nust not a big fan of the 'excerpts'.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 7:38pm
post #3 of 27

icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif double post

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 7:38pm
post #4 of 27

If your customer is Betty Lou from down the street, it's not relevant. If your customer is Micheal Jordan, you might want to include it.

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 27

For this industry, I don't think they're worth the added cost of the additional website page. Either the cake is good or it isn't. People are going to put more validity into the quality of your work if you have good pics than they will if you have Great Aunt Bethany saying you made a delish cake. If the picture gets them to salivate and the language you use to describe things does as well, that's what's important. Customer comments, well, people are cynical about them.

jules1719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules1719 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:46pm
post #6 of 27

Do you pay attention to them when buying anything? Why is anyone any different? I am so cynical, I ALWAYS think the endorsements come from family and friends; I never pay attention to them and think it's kinda weird.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 11:16pm
post #7 of 27

I tend to agree with the cynical side of it, but I do have a page on my website that has comments from previous clients. I've actually had people tell me that they were impressed by the commetns that I have on there and that it was one of the factors that helped them decide to hire me, so go figure...

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 11:55pm
post #8 of 27

Don't know if ppl look at mine, and I don't care icon_smile.gif. I haven't had anyone complain that they are on there, so there they go. One simple "testimonials" link and any time anyone sends a comment my way (in writing) I put it up. I don't pay anything for extra pages. Can't hurt, right?

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:11am
post #9 of 27

I've had just the opposite experience with my testomonial page.

I've had people call and tell me they made their final decision to order from me just because of that page. I've also had others ordering from out of town for a party that will be intown and made that decision because of the comments. One was even an old neighbor that she knew before she moved out of town. Small world!!!

I don't pay extra for the page so that is not a factor. People may read them " with a grain of salt" but they do read them.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:34pm
post #10 of 27

I know this is on a MUCH bigger level than us (well, me at least), but just found this interesting - especially since this topic came up here.

From today's NY Post's Page Six

Quote:
Quote:

DONALD Trump doesn't like seeing his name everywhere - he's suing the Morrison Cohen law firm for $5 million for mentioning he was a client on its Web site. "They put my name up all over their ads like I'm in love with them, and I really don't like them," Trump told The Post's Dareh Gregorian. Trump also sued the barristers in Westchester last year, claiming they bungled a real-estate case and overcharged him. Morrison Cohen lawyer David Scharf counters that they won a multimillion-dollar judgment for Trump and that he's just trying to get out of paying. "He owes our firm about $600,000," Scharf said. Trump said he sent them a cease-and-desist letter demanding they take references to him off their site. "If it was somebody I was happy with, that would be one thing, but I'm not happy with them," Trump said. Scharf said he would not take Trump's name off his site because his firm indeed worked for him.

myohmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myohmy Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:18pm
post #11 of 27

Hello,

I have feedback up on my website from brides/couples. People thinking about getting a cake from me seem to like it. The people on cake central are another story. They seem to think I take money and never deliver a cake. I guess that means I write the feedbacks myself.icon_rolleyes.gif

Bye

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 4:45pm
post #12 of 27

I used to have people ask for references but since I added the testimonials page, that stopped. Good....saves me the work of sending them out all the time. My page also shows that I do more than just weddings .... I have thank-you's" on there from churches, fraternities, from 50th anniversary parties. Brides/clients also LUV seeing their name in print on a website ... and they will tell all of their friends to check out my website because they are so "honored" that I selected their comments to post.

I also ALWAYS get their ok to post them, and definitely keep the written testimonial. My SIL works in marketing and said if ever questioned, I MUST be able to provide the original from the person giving the testimonial so I can prove I didn't make them up.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 7:42pm
post #13 of 27

If a customer takes the time to send me a thankyou comment i ask if i can add that to my feedback page and they are only too happy for me to add it. i only sign it with their first name. I know when i am looking to use a business i will read their feedback page or reviews that have been posted. It doens;t cost me extra for that page either.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 9:28pm
post #14 of 27

I think they are silly.. I mean who is going to put "you made a crappy cake and we hated it" on their site.. icon_wink.gif Of course it's all going to say "We loved our cake!! Thank you soooooo much".

I guess a guest book where people write their own testimonials is better.. but are you going to keep a negative comment up? I think not.

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 10:11pm
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

I think they are silly.. I mean who is going to put "you made a crappy cake and we hated it" on their site.. icon_wink.gif Of course it's all going to say "We loved our cake!! Thank you soooooo much".

I guess a guest book where people write their own testimonials is better.. but are you going to keep a negative comment up? I think not.

I completely agree, they are comical. Do brides really say "Well, if Kim S. from Kalamazoo loved them, I am sure they will do a great job on my cake"? Umm, Kim S may not even exist for all they know. Unaffiliated review sites like weddingwire.com are the only thing close to real feedback from customers... and even those are manipulated.

I would love to see somebody with a testimonials page that looks like this:

You ruined our wedding, you'll be hearing from my lawyer.
- A Benson, Phoenix

It wasn't the worst cake we've ever had⦠it was the ugliest, but not the worst tasting.
- T. Wilson, Chandler

Aside from you guys being 2 hours late and screwing up the flavors, everything was perfect
- D. Wilkins, Mesa

icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:58am
post #16 of 27

LMAO!!! Now THAT would be funny.

How about:

"After we all got out of the hospital from the food poisoning I wanted to take the time to let you know that you cake tasted great but gave all of our guests salmonella."

P. Uker from East Coli

PieceofCakeAZ Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:33am
post #17 of 27
Quote:

LMAO!!! Now THAT would be funny.

How about:

"After we all got out of the hospital from the food poisoning I wanted to take the time to let you know that you cake tasted great but gave all of our guests salmonella."

P. Uker from East Coli

That is wicked awesome!! icon_biggrin.gif My wife & I were busting up about that one.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:36am
post #18 of 27

"We just wanted to say how impressed we were with how you matched the green color with our wedding colors...... after eating your cake, all of our guests turned the same green-at-the-gills color, right before they regurgitated it back up."

PieceofCakeAZ Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:07am
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

"We just wanted to say how impressed we were with how you matched the green color with our wedding colors...... after eating your cake, all of our guests turned the same green-at-the-gills color, right before they regurgitated it back up."

Now THAT is a baker far more talented than I will ever be. icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:29am
post #20 of 27

HA!! that really WOULD take talent.

and wicked awesome??? I thought only us new englanders said that one.. icon_wink.gif

Bonnie151 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnie151 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 6:19am
post #21 of 27

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif OK, ok, I think the message is that some customers value endorsement sections on websites, but building up mine is probably not a priority right now. That suits me just fine - I've got leaflet printing to sort out over the next couple of weeks.

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:29pm
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieceofCakeAZ

Quote:

I completely agree, they are comical. Do brides really say "Well, if Kim S. from Kalamazoo loved them, I am sure they will do a great job on my cake"? Umm, Kim S may not even exist for all they know. Unaffiliated review sites like weddingwire.com are the only thing close to real feedback from customers... and even those are manipulated.

I would love to see somebody with a testimonials page that looks like this:

You ruined our wedding, you'll be hearing from my lawyer.
- A Benson, Phoenix

It wasn't the worst cake we've ever had⦠it was the ugliest, but not the worst tasting.
- T. Wilson, Chandler

Aside from you guys being 2 hours late and screwing up the flavors, everything was perfect
- D. Wilkins, Mesa

icon_biggrin.gif

LOL Those were great! My first wedding we ordered from Albertson's. I asked for strawberries and it was a 3 tier. No strawberries and the stupid cake sank!!!

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 7:38pm
post #23 of 27

As a customer for a lot of things, I do use the testimonials if they're available--but if there are no negative testimonials, or no way for a person to add a testimonial personally, I discount them somewhat. I think a bakery that left up at least some negative comments, their testimonials would seem more credible. Everyone I know who does use the testimonials to judge products looks at the overall picture and the specifics of the complaints; it's not that hard to tell that Bridezilla left the complaint as opposed to a serious concern when you read it.

It wouldn't be the thing to determine whether or not I bought the cake, but, when I was looking for a baker for my big 30th b-day party--we got a wedding-style three-tiered cake--I did look for testimonials on the bakeries in the area the party would be held. It's a two-hour drive and we couldn't afford to run up there every day to check things out ourselves, you see. I found two bakeries I was willing to schedule tastings with that way, and didn't want to try others because they were only names and dots on a map.

I guess I'm saying that testimonials can be valuable, but I wouldn't fret over them too much or pay them that much attention. They're not going to make or break your business alone.

...also, myohmy, please drop the vindictiveness. You totally misread what I said and that thread was locked besides, so you don't need to keep dragging it around.

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 7:49pm
post #24 of 27

This is just a thought, but I would think that something that customers might be interested in would be a page with pictures of some of the brides and grooms cutting their cakes, with their comments below their picture. That would give a more personal/legitimate side to the comments, and people probably wouldn't be as skeptical.

varika Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 7:55pm
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura102777

This is just a thought, but I would think that something that customers might be interested in would be a page with pictures of some of the brides and grooms cutting their cakes, with their comments below their picture. That would give a more personal/legitimate side to the comments, and people probably wouldn't be as skeptical.

Ooooh, that's a lovely idea! It would take a bit of work, but I always respond more strongly to feedback with a face, so to speak, and I can't be the only one.

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 9:29pm
post #26 of 27

Hey Varika,

I just did a cupcake/brownie photo shoot last night and was wondering if I could get a free image consultation? You being so nice and all. icon_wink.gif

varika Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 9:46pm
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine33

Hey Varika,

I just did a cupcake/brownie photo shoot last night and was wondering if I could get a free image consultation? You being so nice and all. icon_wink.gif

Hey, I'm always willing to take a look and give my advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%