Making It Level How Do You Guys Do It?

Decorating By TOMAY Updated 11 Aug 2008 , 5:23pm by TOMAY

TOMAY Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:22pm
post #1 of 16

I always have problems with my cakes being level when I ice and decorate. I did find that when I was leveling on my kitchen counters it was the counters that were unlevel so I moved to the table but I seem to still have a problem leveling the cake for that perfect striaght line. I have a fondant cake due this week with no accents just straight fondant . If this comes out unlevel I will just cry . Are there any tips to making the cake straight because if not I am just going to do topsy turvy cakes from now on icon_sad.gif

15 replies
ski Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 16

Just check you cake with a small leveler! I have several different sizes depending on the cake.
(do it once you fill then after you base ice, then you can cut/adjust as neccessary)

Loucinda Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:01pm
post #3 of 16

You can just put a weight on the cake when it comes out of the oven use a large cutting board (with wax paper between the hot cake and the cutting board) then weigh the cutting board down with a couple of books or large cans......makes the cake completely level without haveing to trim it. (I also bake at 325 - most of my cakes are nice and level right from the oven)

leah_s Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 16

If you're triming, then the Agbay is the gold standard for cake levelers/saws. It produces perfectly level layers aecah time.

Otherwise, what the posters above have suggested also works well.

maimai16 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 16

i just bought a wilton leveler, the small one, and it works for me... i was able to level my cake in no time... i just refrigerated the cake whole day then cut using the leveler and viola... i was able to torte 4 layers from a 3 inch high cake and able to remove the dome it formed when baking.

TOMAY Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 16

I do use the meathods of leveling with the wilton large leveler using baking strips and pushing down small humps it just always never fails that I see the cake as level ice and then assemble but the cake always looks off . I just did not know if it was something I am doing wrong . I will purchase a small level maybe its me thats off icon_smile.gif

daranaco Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:13pm
post #7 of 16

Definitely try a different leveler. I've had nothing but trouble from my large wilton one.

TOMAY Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:20pm
post #8 of 16

I can not find a different type of level in my area and the agbay is way out of my price range for the amount of baking that I do . any suggestions on ways to level

sweetcravings Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:25pm
post #9 of 16

I used to always have problems levelling my cakes. Then someone shared a brillant tip that has forever changed my leveling problem.
Make sure you fill your cake pan at least 3/4 full if not a little more. The when it comes out of the oven, in the pan and still hot place a cake board ontop of the cake and push down ever so gently on the cake. I push enough that my cake board is level with the side of the pan. Remove and viola a flat top cake. Then just flip it out for cooling and trim off any excess cake around the edges. I tell you i used to have major amounts of cake scraps before trying to level my cakes and now I'm lucky if i have any. My DH complains because he used to get all the scraps. This technique saved me lots of time and frustration. HTH.

TOMAY Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:29pm
post #10 of 16

The cake recipe I use bakes rather flat so I rarely have to trim and level . I do tort and maybe my torting layers are unlevel due to the amount of filling. Its strange it looks even when its not iced but once the icing is on the whole thing seems slanted I am going to try the upside-down icing method on this cake I just hope the fondant will adhere and not push out to much icing.

jibbies Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:40pm
post #11 of 16

I level my cakes in the pan. I have a very long bread knife that will reach all the way across the 14 inch pan and then for the 16's I use the Wilton large leveler. you have to use both hands and push down on the ends with your thumbs because it does ride up in the cake. There is a thread on the site that tells you how to modify it to make it sturdier.
There is one other thing you might need to check. If you are dowelling your cake do you cut each one for the hole you put it in? I used to do that and then it dawned on me that it would be better to put the dowel in the center and cut all the other dowels for that tier the exact same lenght as the center one. That way they are all the same length which makes your tiers sit level on each other. I hope that makes sense.

Jibbies

doughdough Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:57pm
post #12 of 16

I have been very fortunate that my cakes rarely come out of the oven with any big humps...but when there are any I just use a knife and eyeball it (after the cake has cooled). This method has worked for me so far without any issues.

For tiered cakes, I also cut my dowels the same length first, and that helps a great deal too! thumbs_up.gif

melvin01 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 5:17pm
post #13 of 16

I just do the serrated knife/turntable method.

If there is a small edge to the side, I use that as my guide, starting with a shallow cut all around and gradually working my way around and around until it's cut through.

arosstx Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 5:17pm
post #14 of 16

I think you may have solved your own problem - you mention that the cake is level before filling and icing. Sounds like the issue is your filling and/or icing.

You have to make sure your filling is level before adding the next cake layer. Same thing w/ the icing. I use a bench scraper on the sides and also on top to scrape off excess and level out the cake. Or, sometimes I have to add icing to the top in spots so that it's level.

Maybe that helps? Good luck!

all4cake Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 5:18pm
post #15 of 16

There are some awesome suggestions in this thread!

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-592998-leveling.html

TOMAY Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 5:23pm
post #16 of 16

I think what I will do is measure the amount of filling to insure that I am getting the correct amount in each level . I am trying out the WASC recipe this time to so hoepfully with all the new changes this will be a success if not I will be back on telling you guys all the mistakes I made . I am heading to walmart tonight to find a long knive icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%