Standard Number Of Servings: Seem Unrealistic

Decorating By lizamlin Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 2:15am by doughdough

lizamlin Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 12:44pm
post #1 of 8

Please forgive if this is naive, but as a baker of cakes for friends and family, I'm confused and frustrated by serving guides. Most seem to be for wedding cakes - and they don't seem to translate to 'real life'...

One guide would say and 8" pan, 2 layers will yield *20* servings, and a dif source would say *15*. ?! I took out my pans and I'm thinking a real live mom could get *12* serving from an 8" 2 layer cake.

Seriously, I'm hoping there is a very real difference, because I couldn't see 24 servings from a 9" pan !! It's so very difficult to select proper cake sizes for cake orders (or am I just dopey? I hope not!).

Can someone provide a source for 'real life mom' servings?

Thanks!

7 replies
indydebi Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 12:53pm
post #2 of 8

If youi cut the cake into pie-shaped wedges, then 12 is about the number of piceces you would get. But when cut properly into rectangle pieces, it will easily serve 20-24.

I took an 8" cake to a high school for a demo I was doing for their home ec class and the teacher cut the cake for the class. I didnt' tell her how to cut it and she cut it correctly into 24 pieces.

KFC determines that 2 pieces are a "serving", but we eat more than 2 pieces at our house, so we know to buy more chicken.

My pricing is based on what the cake is DESIGNED to serve ... not necessarily on how many pieces they plan to cut from it.

A 10" round will serve 38 per the chart.....I tell folks it will serve 25-30, depending on how they cut it.

Here's how to cut the cake to achieve those servings. Notice the cut pieces of cake on the plates are not teeny-tiny pieces ... they are a nice dessert size piece of cake. Feel free to show this page to your clients. http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page10.html

It is not my place to pay for bigger servings for them if they plan to cut it bigger. It is their place to plan according to what they plan to serve and to buy enough cake accordingly.

TOMAY Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 8

indydebi
thanks for that link that is a lot easier than the circle cut meathod

dynee Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:02pm
post #4 of 8

You also have to remember that if you tort the cake and it is 4" tall that adds to the amount of those tiny pieces. When I made cake before I got into decorating, it was at best two layers with filling between them and I cut larger pieces. Now when I add the torts, the recommended size is plenty of cake. Being a hobby baker and not making a living by my cake, I go by Earlene's 1 1/2 X 2 inch size.

Chef_Rinny Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:25pm
post #5 of 8

I use Earlene's cake serving chart where the servings are slightly larger than the standard. I would rather give a little extra cake than not have enough icon_smile.gif

valbos22 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:54pm
post #6 of 8

indydebi had a great analogy to address this w/ KFC. icon_biggrin.gif

Personally I think it is unreasonable that a serving size for brown sugar poptarts is ONE poptart but that is the serving size as they determined-- it is not a money thing but a calorie thing-- icon_cry.gif double what I thought I was getting all of these years!

Gingoodies Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:07am
post #7 of 8

When I am doing a cake that will be served at a home party, I determine servings by the "pie wedge" method. The average person will cut a cake this way.
If I am doing cake for a restaurant/banquet hall type venue I can justify using the wilton or Earlene cutting guide, because I know that is the type of slice they will cut.
If you want to PM me I will tell you what my serving suggestions are for each size cake I offer.

doughdough Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:15am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by valbos22

indydebi had a great analogy to address this w/ KFC. icon_biggrin.gif

Personally I think it is unreasonable that a serving size for brown sugar poptarts is ONE poptart but that is the serving size as they determined-- it is not a money thing but a calorie thing-- icon_cry.gif double what I thought I was getting all of these years!

But when I open a package of Pop Tarts and eat one, I HAVE to eat the other one...or else it will go stale! icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%