Help! Lime Cake Nightmares!

Decorating By Melvira Updated 11 Aug 2008 , 3:08pm by jamiemichelle

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:00am
post #1 of 24

I have a HUGE wedding on Saturday and one of the tiers is supposed to be lime, but what I've tried has not turned out satisfactory!!

Lime Jell-o in the mix = the cake was super heavy and compact... instead of a normal 2 inch high layer, the layers were only about 1 inch and somewhat hockey-puckish in texture. Not heavy like super moist, but heavy like cement. Ew. icon_mad.gif

Realime in the mix = the middle of the layers sunk like mad! Too acidic perhaps? But absolutely not working!! icon_mad.gif

Would it work to zest and juice a couple fresh limes into a mix? Would that give enough flavor? Would that also be too acidic and flop? Ergh!!

HELP!! Can someone help me make a nice lime flavored cake? I'm quite irritated here, so any advice is appreciated 110%! TIA for any help! This is such a busy week, I just don't need this kind of stress! But when do I, right?? icon_rolleyes.gif

23 replies
thecakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakebox Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:10am
post #2 of 24

The cake mix doctor does a key lime cupcake and she adds 2 tbsp juice and 1 tsp zest from a fresh lime. hth, good luck!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:11am
post #3 of 24

Melvira, Just go with the juice and zest. It will be more than enough. Take a deep breath and try to relax.

CarriM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarriM Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:12am
post #4 of 24

I would definately try the zest, from what I understand, that's where a lot of the flavor is... Good luck!!

Melvira Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:15am
post #5 of 24

Thanks you guys! I am just irritated because this is my biggest wedding of this summer and it's the same week as my new baby's baptism. I'd rather skip the wedding and concentrate on my guy, but I booked it before I knew about the baptism date of course. icon_rolleyes.gif And I can't reschedule the baptism because this is about the only time my MIL can come from out of town for it. *sigh* I'll sleep when I'm dead, right? heheh.

Anyway, thanks again! I am hoping I can work this out without a heart attack! thumbs_up.gif

matwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matwogirls Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:19am
post #6 of 24

I was just playing around with finding recipes... is yours like this one?

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Tropical-Lime-Cake/Detail.aspx

Melvira Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:29am
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by matwogirls

I was just playing around with finding recipes... is yours like this one?

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Tropical-Lime-Cake/Detail.aspx

Now that looks interesting! Thank you! It's strange, I'd think the lemon and orange would overpower the lime, but maybe not. I suppose they serve as 'background singers' so to speak! Thank you for the link, I appreciate it immensely!

ChristieC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristieC Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:41am
post #8 of 24

I made a lemon cake a few weeks ago that turned out good. I took a yellow cake mix and replaced the water with thawed lemonade concentrate and milk, I did about 1/3 concentrated to 2/3 milk. I added zest from 2 lemons and added a box on cheese cake pudding and 1 extra egg. I filled it with lemon curd. I think you could do the same with limeade concentrate and lime curd. It was great with cream cheese frosting.

cakemom55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom55 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:51am
post #9 of 24

I just did a lime cake using white cake mix with cheesecake pudding added as well as a few drops of Key Lime flavored LorAnn Oil.

It tastes so good!

Good luck!

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:53am
post #10 of 24

Lime zest and ta da!!!!.........lime yogurt. Makes a great-tasting, moist, and lightish green cake.

I use one of the single-serve yogurts for each batch (or box) of cake batter.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 5:00am
post #11 of 24

I like to replace some or all the water w/ juice then add some zest. I may try adding some key lime yugurt to my next one & see how that goes!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 5:01am
post #12 of 24

I like to replace some or all the water w/ juice then add some zest. I may try adding some key lime yugurt to my next one & see how that goes!

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 5:29am
post #13 of 24

I have made key lime cake several times. I use the wasc cake recipe and replace half of the water with bottled key lime juice, and exchange the white cake mix with a lemon cake mix. Leave everything else the same. Except don't use the almond extract. Replace it with vanilla. Turns out very good. I think it would be good with white chocolate bc and raspberry filling. The cake turns out a yellow color but tastes like key lime. Or you can make key lime bc. Just use the key lime juice in place of milk for the liquid. Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 12:09pm
post #14 of 24

You can get lime oil, which is stronger than lime juice, at Williams Sonoma. It's good for flavoring because you don't need a lot of it, maybe a tsp. per batch for an 8" layer cake. They also have orange and lemon oils too.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 12:32pm
post #15 of 24

I usually use fresh lime juice and lime zest, same as I would for a lemon cake. While it's probably too late to order, Silver Cloud Estates makes a really good key lime extract.

And while it's definately too late to make this, I've been experimenting making homemade lemon, orange, and lime extract. icon_wink.gif Will post instructions soon.

Melvira Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:42pm
post #16 of 24

Unfortunately you're right that it's too late to order something, but I've got lots of great advice to work with here thanks to all of you! I was hesitant to start with a lemon cake mix since I didn't know if it would take over the taste. But it sounds like it works well! Yay! I appreciate all the helpful advice, links, experiences, etc. You are all awesome!!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:54pm
post #17 of 24

Remember that when lime is mixed with other flavors - for instance, a vanilla buttercream - you will not taste the lime right away. Instead, it will become a pleasant "back taste" (that's what I call it), or something which the palate will taste after the initial sweetness of the BC, and will help cleanse some of that sweetness off the palate, clearing the way for the next bite.

This is so with all citrus used in combination with other flavors.

I would have otherwise used the term "aftertaste," instead of back taste, but that usually has a negative connotation to it - like the aftertaste of cheap whiskey or cold medicine.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:57pm
post #18 of 24

Have you tried this recipe? It really is good.. and easy! I am sure it would do well in a cake as well..
http://www.cupcakefun.com/ideas/sf_margaritalime.cfm

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:04pm
post #19 of 24

Lucky Leaf the brand of canned pie fillings also has a Key Lime filling. If you want to go the route of filling to get the flavor. Ive not seen it at Wal-Mart I got it at the commisary but grocery stores like Kroger, Publix or that type may have it. also the Great Key lime cake recipe on the recipe forum is really good.
Here's the link
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6826-Great-key-lime-cake.html
Hope this might help a little

Jibbies

Melvira Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:07pm
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

I would have otherwise used the term "aftertaste," instead of back taste, but that usually has a negative connotation to it - like the aftertaste of cheap whiskey or cold medicine.

Hehehe, that's funny, but you are absolutely right!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:08pm
post #21 of 24

I think the correct term should be "backnote" like in wine.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:16pm
post #22 of 24

I used the key lime recipe on this site and the family fought for leftovers the next day!

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 3:01pm
post #23 of 24

my key lime white chocolate cupcakes always get rave reviews and it's also one of my favorites!

1 yellow cake mix (i use dh)
1 pkg white chocolate jello brand pudding mix
4 eggs
3 oz fresh key lime juice (i hate juicing those little boogers but nothing else comes close to the taste)
1/4 c each of melted butter and veg oil
8 oz sour cream but as suggested by previous poster key lime yogurt could certainly be used
i usually fold in some white choc chips at the end.

Makes 24 cupcakes but I'm sure you could bake as a cake. i like to ice by making a batch of bc then a batch of fluffy boiled icing that has about 1/4 tsp lorann key lime oil added. i then mix half of each batch together to pipe a swirl on top. it's such a yummy combo!!

jamiemichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiemichelle Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 3:08pm
post #24 of 24

I used the WASC recipe but left out the almond extract and subbed about half the water for lime juice and added lime zest. I filled and frosted it with raspberrry SMBC. It was a delicious combo and probably one of my favorite cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%