What Is Confectioners Coating?

Decorating By Cookie4 Updated 14 Aug 2008 , 3:15pm by NikkiDoc

Cookie4 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 3:49am
post #1 of 8

This month's copy of the e-mail from American Cake Magazine had a tip on making petit fours using canned icing and confectioners coating mixed together over low heat. I've used a prepared canned icing microwaved and then poured but I'm not sure what they are referring to as Confectines Coating. Does anyone here know what that is? Could it be Almond Bark? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

7 replies
SouthernSugar Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:13am
post #2 of 8

Confectioner's coating is for example Wilton Candy Melts. I am not sure if almond bark is the same thing (close but I think it is a little different).

Tona Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:39am
post #3 of 8

The almond bark is different. You need to use the candy melts.

Cookie4 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the input - I was beginning to think it was the melts also.

Cookie4 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the input - I was beginning to think it was the melts also.

NikkiDoc Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 7:44pm
post #6 of 8

Would it be too much to ask for the recipe for that? I would love to try it. What ratio of icing to melts do you use? That's all, just combine and heat over low and pour over your petit fours? My dds would love that!

Cookie4 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 8

NikkiDoc: of course I wouldn't mind - that's what we do here on Cake Central is share ideas etc. If you go to the website for American Cake Decorating Magazine (not sure of the exact address) and sign up for their monthly e-mail broadcast you can see the instructions but they are limited. Here's what they say:

Petit Four Icing: Combine canned icing and confectioners coating (no amounts were given) in a saucepan and warm until smooth. It has a softer texture.

That's all that was stated so I would purchase one of the canned icings from your local supermarket and add a handfull of melts in whatever flavor you wanted. I might melt them all on top of a double boiler and stir until melted and smooth. Then I would pour them over your little cakes. Good luck!

NikkiDoc Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 3:15pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks Cookie4! I signed up but haven't seen the petit four icing. Maybe I overlooked it. I was searching online and found a post on the wilton boards. It's a recipe for cookie/petit four icing. I haven't looked to see if it is posted here, but I'll bet it is. It is basically ps, corn syrup, water, vanilla, salt and melted candy melts and your coloring. Has anyone tried this. There were good reviews on that post about it. It supposedly dries hard enough to stack and bag but it is soft underneath the hard exterior, sounds good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%