I Hate Doing Business With Family...long

Decorating By KKC Updated 11 Aug 2008 , 7:28pm by melodyscakes

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:51am
post #1 of 10

My cousin who got married wanted me to do a cake for them. Ok no problem...they were describing how they wanted fondant ribbons around the cake and gumpaste flowers cascading on the cake and not to mention it was for 150 people. Now I gave them a good deal $150.00...they said ok and then a minute later they call back and say oh no, that's too high we only want the cake for us and our parents not the rest of the people...they said we'll get a sheet cake from Publix icon_mad.gif Ok I'm saying to myself that does not make any sense at all but whatever. So we come to an agreement of $75 for a 2-tier cake and they were gonna buy a sheet cake from the grocery store for their guest icon_surprised.gif What since does that make? My aunt works at Publix and she told them publix charges about $65 for a full sheet cake and they don't torte it but they didn't want to listen. So the wedding comes around and I do the cake not to really benefit them but for me because I wanted to build my portfolio. Well guess what they didn't buy a sheet cake at all so the only cake they had was the cake I made AND....THEY DIDN'T WANT TO SERVE THEIR GUEST ANY CAKE...THEY TOOK IT HOME FOR THEMSELVES icon_eek.gif The took the picture cutting the cake but they wrapped that baby up and took it home...that was the tackiest thing I've ever seen!!! Who doesn't serve cake to their guests? Not even a Publix cake...not a cupcake...NOTHING!!! The guest had to go home without even satisfying their sweet tooth.

FAST FORWARD TO THE BABY SHOWER....
They wanted me to do a baby shower cake 3 tiers with butterflies sprouting out of the cake and some butterfly cookies as party favors. Ok, well weeks and weeks pass by and I haven't gotten a call, an email nothing telling me when they want it or asking a price. Finally a day before the shower they still hadn't given me any information so guess what??? Day of shower no cake, no party favors...they had to get a cake from Sam's Club icon_lol.gif The cake was terrible, the pink icing tasted like cough syrup. Everyone kept coming up to me asking "Did u make the cake" I'd simply smile and say "No". They expected me to call around chasing them just to make their cake, no that's not my style, I don't have time for it and thats not how I do business..besides I had already had orders from people who paid in advance for my creations. icon_wink.gif I've learned my lesson, I'll never deal with them ever...if they want a cake they'll just have to make sure they keep their Sam's card activated and get it from there thumbs_up.gif

9 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:16am
post #2 of 10

omg, you have GOT to submit that wedding story to www.etiquettehell.com!!!

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:30am
post #3 of 10

man, they are like school in July....no class icon_eek.gif

I'm not sure I'd even attend another 'event' thrown by these relatives as they honestly have no respect for their guests. Sounds like they only throw parties for gifts with no attention to the people who go out of their way to be there for their 'celebration'.

mommachris

MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 5:02am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommachris

man, they are like school in July....no class icon_eek.gif

mommachris

It is 1am here and I lol so hard I almost peed!
Oh lawd, I'm rollin'/dyin' over here! icon_cry.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 5:03am
post #5 of 10

The fact that they actually went through with the production of cutting the cake and all in front of everyone and then serving nothing. One of the tackiest, rudest things I have ever heard! I'm sure the guests were thoroughly confused, as well.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 5:05am
post #6 of 10

The fact that they actually went through with the production of cutting the cake and all in front of everyone and then serving nothing. One of the tackiest, rudest things I have ever heard! I'm sure the guests were thoroughly confused, as well.

Quote:
Quote:

man, they are like school in July....no class

Hahaha... I remember first hearing that as a kid on an episode of Fat Albert! Uh oh, I'm showing my age lol

Tiababe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiababe Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:27pm
post #7 of 10

I can't believe they cut cake in front of everyone and didn't serve it to the guests!! People never cease to amaze me with their rudeness.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:37pm
post #8 of 10

Not even a sheet cake to serve!!?? That's just crazy, tacky and rude. After they came back from the honeymoon I would have said I had one more gift for them to open, it would be a book about learning manners.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 7:18pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

Not even a sheet cake to serve!!?? That's just crazy, tacky and rude. After they came back from the honeymoon I would have said I had one more gift for them to open, it would be a book about learning manners.

Not even a sheetcake...They are a really immature couple and no one likes to deal with them. Let me tell you, they didn't even invite her maternal grandmother thumbsdown.gif Her grandmother just showed up, nor did she invited most of the family her mom told her who to invite. His parents were not happy with the wedding because for one she only met her a few times and when she gave her toast lets just say she did not bite her tongue. She stated in front of everyone that she was not happy about the wedding, she thought they were too young etc...you could hear a pin drop, everyone was just shocked. After his parents made their painful toast they left quick. I was so embarrassed for them. Anyway, thats how they are (actually the bride who is my cousin) her mom thinks and talks for her. So her mom has alot of influence over her, she actually gave her daughter a Kama Sutra book and highlighted all the things she thought her daughter should do to her husband on her wedding night tapedshut.gif The next day when she came back from her honeymoon, she took them aside and asked them if they tried the things she highlighted icon_eek.gif. Everything about that wedding was so wrong, the grooms parents did not want to come so after about 2 hours of him begging them to show up they finally showed up. I feel bad for the baby.

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 7:28pm
post #10 of 10

lordy!!!!!
that's all I can say. wow.

wow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%