Pa Regulations For Home Bakery?

Business By Artsygurl Updated 11 Aug 2008 , 4:25pm by Artsygurl

Artsygurl Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:50am
post #1 of 6

Hi all! Does anyone know the specific regulations to have a licensed home bakery in Pennsylvania? I was just wondering if it's worth the hassle to go through the motions so I could hand out business cards to the public or just stick with decorating cakes for friends and family. Any information including any costs? would be really great! Thanks! icon_wink.gif

5 replies
pastrylady Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 6

The regulations differ depending on where you are. In my county I have to go through the health department for regulations. Also, if you plan to work from home you need to check your town zoning codes to see if it is allowed. Good Luck!

michellenj Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 6

There was a thread on PA businesses recently. Have you tried doing a search?

ladybug76 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 6

There was a thread on PA bakeries recently but I can't locate it. You have to go through the Department of Agriculture, which if you call they can send you a pamphlet and/or website. I have all the info at home (I am at my work right now!) The license fee is about $35 per year. As far as zoning... depending on where you live and the township - GOOD LUCK! I live near Harrisburg / Gettysburg and township officials make it 'challenging' to say the least, on top of a $400 application fee!! YOWSERS!!!! So, start with Dept of Ag and your township building and go from there! Good Luck!

Artsygurl Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the help and information everybody! Thanks for the link too! I appreciate it thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%