Covering Cake Dummies

Decorating By Trance Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 3:53am by msauer

Trance Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 12:52am
post #1 of 13

Hello-
I was going to enter a cake in our local fair and we are allowed to use dummies. This is the first time I will be using these and I was wondering if I'm covering them in fondant do I still need to apply BC first? I know I should cover them with plastic wrap first to be able to use them again.

Thanks in advance,
Trance

12 replies
rcs Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:03am
post #2 of 13

You can actually just spritz them with water lightly. Be sure and file down the edges so they aren't so sharp!!

cakemommy Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:20am
post #3 of 13

You don't need to cover them with anything. Just lightly spritz water on them like mentioned and viola. Now if you leave the fondant on there for a year or so like I did, then you risk pulling a chunk of your styrofoam dummy off when you take the fondant off. If it's on there for a few days, weeks, it shouldn't be a problem. Just remember to lightly mist the dummy, don't drench it.

Use an emory board to round the edges a bit.

Good luck with your entry!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Amy

2muchsugar Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:30am
post #4 of 13

I like to spread a thin layer of shortening (Crisco) on the dummy before I cover it. It kind of fills in the small holes and the fondant sticks to it great. The fondant also comes off pretty easily too.

Trance Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:10am
post #5 of 13

Thanks for the information..I can't wait to start decorating! icon_biggrin.gif

Tona Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:41am
post #6 of 13

I cover mine with a light coat of piping gel before I apply the fondant and it works well also.

Iloveweddings Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 10:10am
post #7 of 13

My cake instructor did the water spritz. I think the crisco coating sounds good.

CoutureCakeCreations Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 10:21am
post #8 of 13

I use piping gel.

Trance Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 11:28pm
post #9 of 13

Do you ever have a problem with the fondant getting dry and cracking on the dummies? Should I store them a certain way after decorating to prevent this?

cakemommy Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:00am
post #10 of 13

Mine have dried and cracked after several several months! I don't think a month or two will do that. Not sure of your weather conditions though. That might have something to do with it. If you are going to keep your cake on display for a while then maybe a plexiglass case or the like might be best. I know if you are coloring your fondant to keep it out of direct sunlight and florescent light for extended periods of time. The fondant will fade. Even rotating your cake regularly won't make it fade evenly. I tried!

Amy

msauer Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:21am
post #11 of 13

I am going to be working on some dummy cakes this week and I have another question about the dummies....

Do you guys wrap the fondant around the bottom side of the cake dummy or do you cut it off right where you would with a real cake?

Thanks!

-Michelle

pinklesley1 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:29am
post #12 of 13

i cut it just like i would a real cake.. i treat the dummy like a real cake... i do the water spritz... i love dummy cakes bc they are so fun...

msauer Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:53am
post #13 of 13

I knew I could count on you guys! Thanks!

Oh...and do you use anything to secure them when you stack them up? I'm worried that if someone bumps the table....boop...on the floor they go! I was considering a center dowel, but then you don't have much of a chance of reusing the styrofoams, huh?

-Michelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%