Can Heat Affect The Taste

Decorating By susgene Updated 11 Aug 2008 , 3:24pm by grama_j

susgene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susgene Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 6

Can heat affect the taste of fondant?

Been making cakes for quite a while without a single complaint. Last week made a cake using DH cake mix, buttercream icing (Wilton crisco-only recipe), and Satin Ice fondant. The cake tasted great as usual, I tasted the buttercream (normal), and I always use Satin Ice because it's always great. Customer came in saying the fondant tasted "mediciny". I came home and tasted the fondant. It was the normal yummy flavor. I used the blue and red precolored. They tasted just fine.

Could it be because she put the cake in her trunk for an hour driving home on a hot day? She's used to my fondant covered cakes so she knows what fondant tastes like...

Any clue anyone?

TIA

5 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:22pm
post #2 of 6

If she put the cake in the hot trunk for an hour drive, its a wonder she had a cake left to serve. But yes i would say that could do the trick.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 6

Maybe due to the heat in her trunk it picked up a taste from things that have been in the trunk previously.

Jibbies

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 6

Well, it is possible for the exhaust from her car to come into the trunk, soooooo she might have just been eating a carbon monoxide cake!

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 6

It can also depend on what she was eating/drinking right before she tasted the cake. Lots of folks don't realize one flavor can affect another.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 6

I'm thinking it picked up the odors from the trunk......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%