How Do I Get A Pic Of A Cake As An Avatar?

Decorating By tktexasgirl Updated 22 Aug 2008 , 4:20am by raquel1

tktexasgirl Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 18

I have tried croping my pictures, but they wont fit. If I crop them to the size it says they must be, you can't see them. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance

17 replies
ceshell Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 10:58pm
post #2 of 18

It's not just cropping, you have to make sure they are the correct pixel size (i.e.: tiny!) 110x110pixels and total file size of less than 6Kb. You may already know this so apologies if I'm just restating the obvious, but since I'm not sure what problem you're encountering I'm throwing that out there!

Also make sure you are saving the pic as a jpg or gif. Filename can have no spaces or unallowed characters in it such as #, $, etc.

Any other hints about what you're doing, so we can help "diagnose" the problem? icon_smile.gif

tracey1970 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 18

I had the exact same thing happen. I can shrink my photos enough to allow them in my photo gallery, but I can't seem to shrink one small enough to get it as an avatar. I downloaded a pic of my dog from a website and it happened to be the right size. I have Adobe Photoshop 7, and I shrink my cake photos until they are so tiny, they are barely visible to the naked eye, and CC still won't accept it as my avatar. As I am not very computer savvy, I don't really know what else I can do. I can, however, sympathize with your dilemma. Sorry I can't be of more help.

varika Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 18

It's not just the pixel size, it's the file size, too. If you're using Photoshop, go to "save for web..." jpg and turn the quality down to about 80, or do a "Save As..." jpg and turn the quality down to about 7. In a file of such a small size visually, it's not going to show that you did that.

ceshell Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:08am
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

It's not just the pixel size, it's the file size, too. If you're using Photoshop, go to "save for web..." jpg and turn the quality down to about 80, or do a "Save As..." jpg and turn the quality down to about 7. In a file of such a small size visually, it's not going to show that you did that.

Good point. You want your image 72dpi at its full size, since that's all a computer screen can display anyway. My avatar is 110x76 pixels at 72dpi, for a total of 6KB. Varika's is 95x110 @ 72dpi for a total of 5K. Tracey1970's dog pic is 105x78 pixels @72dpi...5K file size...you get the picture! icon_smile.gif

ETA: a lot of people use shrinkpictures.com to shrink their files down to the correct size for avatars...I didn't mention it since you said you already shrink your gallery pics, but if it doesn't help you maybe that will help someone else!

tracey1970 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:55am
post #6 of 18

Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a whirl when I get to my computer that has the photos in it (I'm on my laptop now).

tktexasgirl Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:59am
post #7 of 18

Thank you for yalls help, I will try your suggestions.

jibbies Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 3:04am
post #8 of 18

shrinkpictures.com works great, especially for avatar pictures they have a section especially for those.

Jibbies

Dru329 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 3:23am
post #9 of 18

Thanks for the link!

tracey1970 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 12:33pm
post #10 of 18

OK - so I went into Adobe Photoshop and shrunk a cake pic to under 110 pixels wide by 83 pixels high. I went to "save for web" and lowered the quality to about 75 and a "medium" quality (versus high or low). I went to "save as..." and selected a quality of 5. Thought that would do it, but nope! As I said, I am no computer genius, but I did what I thought was the right thing. CC still won't allow the photo for my avatar - says it's still over 6MB. Have no idea what to do... icon_sad.gif

ceshell Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 5:21pm
post #11 of 18

Grr, how frustrating. Take a look at your now-saved pic's file details. How many K does YOUR computer say it is?? I'm guessing your computer states the file is 6K or more, or else like 5.99K. Might need to shrink it a teeeeeny bit more. Even so, if your pixel size is correct (which it sounds like it is), then I can only guess the prob. is your resolution.

If it is, this may help: Open your newly created file in Photoshop and go to the Image menu. Choose Image Size, where you'll see the pixel dimensions you just stated but it will also tell you the Resolution. Make sure that resolution is 72dpi. If it is larger than 72dpi then you've found the problem. Make sure Resample Image is UNchecked and change the resolution to 72dpi, that should hopefully do the trick.

I hope this helps!!

tx_cupcake Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 6:58pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbies

shrinkpictures.com works great, especially for avatar pictures they have a section especially for those.

Jibbies

I just went here and everything worked perfectly!

Juny1980 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 7:32pm
post #13 of 18

ceshell...thanks for the link to "resize my pics online"...it worked like a charm icon_razz.gif

tracey1970 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:54am
post #14 of 18

ceshell - thanks so much for the tips. I am not at my computer with the pics right now, but I will try that as soon as I am. Fingers crossed!

ceshell Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:58am
post #15 of 18

You're welcome but I might be blowing a bunch of hot air - judged by others' success you may just want to make life easier and try shrinkpictures!! icon_lol.gif

tracey1970 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:40am
post #16 of 18

I did go on that site once and couldn't make head nor tail of it. I am computer illiterate, after all! I'll try Photoshop again and then go there again. Maybe I'll be two times lucky!

sugarcheryl Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:36am
post #17 of 18

I finally got it. I went to resize images online and had them to shrink my picture and then download it on my computer. I'm not computer savy either this all new to me.

raquel1 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 4:20am
post #18 of 18

Thanks cshell and varika! I actually have a real avatar now. I'm not so happy with the pic quality but it's a start! I'll work on it some more tomorrow. Thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%