1St Wedding Cake & Grooms Cake, Buttercream Disaster!

Decorating By Cynthia_Razo Updated 10 Aug 2008 , 10:51pm by mandygirlxoxo

Cynthia_Razo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynthia_Razo Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone, well at the moment I feel really disappointed in myself. My mother had faith in me to make her wedding cake, which was my first, and her future husbands grooms cake. Well I did the gumpaste roses in advance which thanks to Edna for her tutorial they came out nice. I baked the cakes and iced them and layered them the way they should be. Well everything came out acording to plans. But the dasy of the wedding I was running LATE, I had to finish the cakes, get my kids dressed cuz they were the junior brides, my son in his tuxedo, and myself as well. I was suppose to set up the cake at 5:00 pm, before anyone got there. Well it did'nt turn out that way. I got there at 5:45 pm, there were people there already and looking at everything I was doing, so I got really nervous. I decided to finish stacking the cakes outside in the van, but the temperature and humidity were really bad. The temp was 101, the buttercream started melting! The cordinator was rushing me. So I rushed to finish, my husband tried to carry the 5 tiered stack cake inside the venue. He almost dropped the cake! We walked in and evryone was, "oh it's the cake." I felt so unappreciated for all the work I had done. My husband and I stayed up all night to finish the cakes. My mother says she liked the cakes but the cordinator, which is related to the groom, did'nt seem too happy about the cake. The minute we walked in with the cakes she was there saying, " oh no they are melting, we have to take pictures with it now before it falls! And cut it ASAP! I just wanted to strangle her at that moment, but I kept my cool. The grooms cake, which was a F-16 fighting falcon came out perfect! My step-father loved it! But as for the wedding cake I felt it was a total disaster! I'm sort of new to cake decorating, and at the moment I just want to quit! I love decorating cakes but I believe its not my calling. I did not enjoy the wedding at all. And I feel horrible! Thanks everyone for reading, I know it's long but I had to let it out. I was so ashamed of the wedding cake that I did'nt even take pictures of it, but hopefully my mother did, so if she did I'll post it here so you guys can tell me what you guys think. Once again thank you!

3 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 4

The only opinion that matters is that of the bride icon_smile.gif
You took on a lot attempting a huge cake, grooms cake and children in wedding! We are our own worst critics, and I'm sure nobody saw all the flaws that you saw. Please post pics, your hard work deserves to be recognized!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 4

Look at it this way ... you never have to experience your "first disaster" ever again! thumbs_up.gif And your mom liked it and that's all that counts. You did take on a lot and I think you should be commended for wanting to do so much for your mom's wedding day!! thumbs_up.gif

I know a lot of folks say they get nervous when working in front of people, but really ... you've GOT to get over that. I'm a big ham, so the bigger my audience, the better I like it! icon_rolleyes.gif And seriously, if it makes you nervous, just stop and turn to them and tell them, "Folks, this is a very nerve wracking job and you all watching every move I make isn't helping, so if you could give me some space until I get this all set up, please? Thanks!"

In retrospect, working in front of some people would have been better than working in a cramped, 101 degree van and then carrying a 5 tier cake.

Please post a pic because I'll just bet it's not NEAR as bad you think it was! icon_smile.gif

mandygirlxoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandygirlxoxo Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 10:51pm
post #4 of 4

listen, we all go through cake disasters, and looks like this one was not that bad. sounds like your mom really liked it even if it was melting. you worked your butt off! dont let that lady get under your skin. if you enjoy cake decorating, and that was your First wedding cake, dont give up on the craft. its so much fun. i wouldnt let one little wedding ruin cake decorating for you.

best of luck to you in the future, and i am looking forward to seeing this cake if your mom posts the pictures icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%