Quick Question Abt Cake Balls

Decorating By msnrozier Updated 10 Aug 2008 , 9:57pm by Jocmom

msnrozier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msnrozier Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 6

hello,

I just started with my very first batch of CBs and thought it would be easy, but errrrr ummmmm

how do I dip ball after ball.

I started with a spoon but that used tooo much chocolate, then I tried a toothpick but the cake was to heavy, THEN I tried with a fork but it was pulling apart when I tried to pull the fork out!!!!!!

all the while my white chocolate is looking spotted now from the cake!!!

HEEEEEELLLLP Pleeeeease!

Nikki

5 replies
JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 6

Hi!

I make them all the time icon_smile.gif You add JUST enough icing so the cake sticks together, that way, you really shouldn't get crumbs when you dip them. I use a plastic dipping fork for dipping chocolates. It has a swirl in the end, it works GREAT!!!

If you need more advice, just e-mail me

Jen icon_smile.gif

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 6

Gaaaah! I made some today with my leftover wedding cake tops from this week and I was having the same dipping problems. I ended up using an icing bag and squirting chocolate over them randomly and sprinkling them with sprinkles.

I think I must be doing something wrong. I think they are disgusting to eat. icon_cry.gif

Rainbow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rainbow Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 6

When I make cake balls I always make sure the balls are a little dry on the outside before I dip them in the chocolate. I use a chocolate melting pot(best buy ever!) and dip with a plastic fork with the middle 2 tines broken out...don't poke the balls with the tines just let the balls rest on top of the 2 remaining tines and kind of dunk them. If you allow them to crust you will have fewer crumbs in the chocolate. Some people freeze or refrigerate their cake balls before dipping, but the chocolate on mine always cracks when I try this. Hope this helps.

Sue

jlo6024 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlo6024 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 6

I stick mine in the freezer for about 15 minutes before I dip them. If I don't they fall into the chocolate. This firms them up just enough they they will stay on a toothpick for you.

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 9:57pm
post #6 of 6

I place the recently frozen cake ball on a fork (don't pierce the ball, let it rest on the fork tines) then spoon the melted chocolate over the cake ball. Tap the fork on the edge of the chocolate container a couple times and the excess chocolate will run off. I use a chocolate melting pot too, so the chocolate stays smooth and melted. When I put the chocolate covered cake balls on parchment paper to dry, I make sure that the side that was touching the fork is facing up. I run a spatula with a little melted chocolate over the top to cover any tine marks. Perfect every time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%