Please Help!

Decorating By AnotherBrit Updated 11 Aug 2008 , 2:07pm by AnotherBrit

AnotherBrit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherBrit Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 4

I usually do my cakes fresh but it's my husband's birthday bash on Saturday and this week is crazy so I will have to bake and freeze. Please tell me what's best. Should I cut the cake into the shape I need before freezing or not? If not, should I cut when cake has been totally defrosted or whilst still relatively firm? I would really appreciate your feedback. Thanks very much.

3 replies
gr8_seamstress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8_seamstress Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 4

I think I would wait to carve until it is partly thawed. That should make carving easier. Honestly though, I don't freeze my cakes.....so someone that does may have better advice. Good luck.

doublecz1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doublecz1103 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 4

i freeze layers when i know i have my hands full for the week. i usually cut them and then wrap them in 2 layers of saran wrap and then 1 layer of freezer paper. i tape them shut and store them in the freezer. when defrosting them, i unwrap the freezer paper but leave them in the saran wrap and i set them out on the counter.. i usually make my icing while i have them defrosting. usually by the end of this time the cakes are ready to use.
as for carving before or after... either way would work, carving after would be easier probably but it's completely up to u.

AnotherBrit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherBrit Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks guys for the input. I appreciate the time you have taken to leave me your comments. Thanks very much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%