Painting On Fondant - What Type Of Color?

Decorating By Cake-Girl1968 Updated 10 Aug 2008 , 5:13pm by doublecz1103

Cake-Girl1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Girl1968 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 6

Can someone tell me what type of food color is used if you want to paint a picture on fondant?

5 replies
missyjo30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyjo30 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 6

I want to say that you mix paste colors with vodka/everclear (something with a very high alchohal content so that it dries quickly. Just mix it up and paint...just do a little bit at at time....same goes for luster/petal dust etc.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 6

Most of the time I use Americolor Gel Paste colors with vodka because it evaporates quickly and doesn't leave any taste. Other than that, anything else I have on hand. Some just work better than others.

tygre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tygre Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 6

I use the wilton gel/paste and vodka, the fishing cake in my pics is done this way

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 6

I agree on the color (Wilton or Americolor) and Vodka, but remember that you only need a little bit of vodka. I usually start with a "glob or dot" of color in the bottom of a bowl and then add a few little drops of vodka. I don't mix the together to start. I put my brush in the vodka and then grab some color and start a third puddle and work from that one. Then you can test the consistancy to see if the color is where you want it. Add more of whichever you like to the third puddle...this way you don't ruin both of your original puddles (In other words...rocket scientist that I am, I have watered down the color way too many times in the past)

Good luck!
-Michelle

doublecz1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doublecz1103 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 6

i just actually asked someone about this... they told me they use the wilton gel colors and a small amount of water. hope this helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%