Interesting...about Cookie Bouquet Base

Baking By Joanne914 Updated 22 Aug 2008 , 8:57pm by cookiedecorator

Joanne914 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 13

I was reading a post in the Wilton Forum and came upon this, and thought it was interesting:

I was the Assistant Manager at Cookies by Design in a shop in Iowa...anyway the 3-9 cookie bouquets are in a special "pot" that is made of plastic and they "lock" the sticks into place.

The 1-2 cookie bouquets and the 10+ bouquets are in a basket with Plaster of paris to hold the sticks. Just a little bit of plaster of Paris, otherwise the bucket would be way too heavy! Then you simply shake tissue paper and wrap the tip around the sticks to hid the plaster and put the cookies on! Your cookies need to be a very thick dough and roll them 1/2-3/4" thick!

Has anyone ever used PLASTER OF PARIS in their bouquet as a base??? Just wondering.

12 replies
CristyInMiami Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 5:47am
post #2 of 13

I've never used plaster of paris but have been going nuts trying to figure out how they hold the cookies into place.

I have just been using a little glue, doesn't hold as well as I would like but it helps.

BCJean Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 6:31am
post #3 of 13

I worked in a Cookies by Design for about a year, quite a few years ago. We used plaster of Paris as our base in all of our bouquets. We used baskets for all of our containers and lined them with plastic, then poured the plaster in. Before it had set up completely, we placed the sticks in the plaster, tilting them how we wanted the final bouquet to be, then let it harden around the sticks. We then took two sheets of tissue paper and laid it across all of the sticks...and poked the sticks up through the tissue paper. We worked this down to the base of the sticks, so the plaster was covered. We then kind of gathered the edges of the tissue up around the sticks.

To insert the cookies on the stick, we used a drill which was mounted on a platform and had a bit the size of the dowel rods. We drilled a hole up in the cookie about 1 inch. We squirted a dab of our cookie icing up in the hole for glue and positioned it on the stick. It worked awesome. The bouquets were very sturdy.

Honeydukes Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 7:12am
post #4 of 13

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do you get the sticks out? Do you just pop the cookie off to eat it?

BCJean Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 7:37am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydukes

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do you get the sticks out? Do you just pop the cookie off to eat it?

Yes, you take the cookie off of the stick to eat it. Those sticks are in there to stay.

Joanne914 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 10:56am
post #6 of 13

BCJean....You "drilled a hole INTO the cookie???" That must have been one hard cookie to accept a drilled hole without breaking!!!! I know CBD make their cookies really thick...but how long were they cooked???

BCJean Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 3:30pm
post #7 of 13

Yes, we drilled a hole. I know it sounds strange but it worked very well. The cookies were rolled to 3/8" thick and no, they were not hard at all. They were very soft and the flavor was excellent. The drill was mounted flat so you had the cookie flat on the surface and slid it up to the drill bit which put the hole in the center of the cookie.

traceyjade Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:33pm
post #8 of 13

Wow this all seems so difficult, all I use is the florists foam, I bake the sticks in the cookies and just put them in the foam and cover with tissue....easy peezie icon_biggrin.gif

klhayes Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:41am
post #9 of 13

I've attempted to eat a cookie from CBD and it was very hard and not very tasty at all.

Luby Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 11:21pm
post #10 of 13

We had a cookie bouquet at the office once and the base was made of a plaster of paris type substance, but it wasn't rock hard - it was still semi-soft and pliable. The sticks were just stuck in and you could remove the stick to eat the cookie. I would like to know what kind of substance they used icon_confused.gif

Schmulie65 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 11:40pm
post #11 of 13

I have always used just styro-foam blocks. When I tried the florist foam, it seemed to disintegrate easily and some particles seemed to be airborn (for lack of a better word). The styro-foam blocks to me don't seem to be the best method because if you start rearranging the cookies, the foam starts breaking down with each new hole you make. At times, I have had to use a new piece of foam. I have a few cookie books by Autumn Carpenter. In her books she gives a recipe for an edible putty, I think using candy melts. I have not used the recipe yet, but would like to try it sometime. She states that it is more "foregiving" than styro-foam. Has anyone else tried this method?

Schmulie65

keyshia Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:06am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

I've attempted to eat a cookie from CBD and it was very hard and not very tasty at all.

I agree, I just recently bought one to taste against the NFSC...my "tasters" couldn't even finish the part that was from CBD...I thought it had a very "grocery store" taste to it...none of us could label the taste, but we all agreed that it wasn't good to us.

Funny, I just thought they didn't do a good job putting the stick on there since mind came right off...nice to know that wasn't the case
[/quote]

cookiedecorator Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 8:57pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne914

I was reading a post in the Wilton Forum and came upon this, and thought it was interesting:

I was the Assistant Manager at Cookies by Design in a shop in Iowa...anyway the 3-9 cookie bouquets are in a special "pot" that is made of plastic and they "lock" the sticks into place.

The 1-2 cookie bouquets and the 10+ bouquets are in a basket with Plaster of paris to hold the sticks. Just a little bit of plaster of Paris, otherwise the bucket would be way too heavy! Then you simply shake tissue paper and wrap the tip around the sticks to hid the plaster and put the cookies on! Your cookies need to be a very thick dough and roll them 1/2-3/4" thick!

Has anyone ever used PLASTER OF PARIS in their bouquet as a base??? Just wondering.

How old was that post. I work for CBD and all of our arrangements go in the plastic container. Stopped using plaster years ago. The one and two cookies even snap into a little plastic holder that fits inside a mug. The cookies are not 1/2" to 3/4" either they are about 3/8". FYI.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%