Help With Luster Dust, Etc...

Decorating By amandastorrs Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 2:50am by seasonsmoke

amandastorrs Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 5

Okay, so I'm a TOTAL newbie... like really new, with most of this stuff. My husband's aunt has been making amazing cakes with BC forever but we're just learning to do fondant and carving and such together.

SO, I'd love to experiment with l uster dust and some of the other pretty sparkly things, but everything I read says non-toxic but non-edible. So what's the deal?

I'd working on making a cake for my daughter's birthday, which is in like 4 months (but I'm going to need a ton of practice, figured I'd start early lol), and I'd love to make it sparkly and pretty, but would it be bad to put some of that on to serve to a bunch of 3 year olds?

4 replies
JenniferMI Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 5

This is just my opinion, when it says non-edible, I use it in moderation. If it is able to be used on a cake, it has to be non-toxic. It's just not approved by the FDA. Look at the dragee thing.... you can't even buy them in California, but can elsewhere.... it is all so confusing, but I think moderation is the key for the cake dusts marked non-edible.

Jen icon_smile.gif

CoutureCakeCreations Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 5

I have always had question regarding that too! So any post offering info is greatly appreciated!

tenleysmommy Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 5

They are approved in other countries as edible,but have not been approved by the FDA here in the states!HTH

seasonsmoke Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:50am
post #5 of 5

I have used luster dust before. I added it to roses that were decoration on the cake. The roses were not ment to be eaten. You could try to add it to items that will be removed before the cake is eaten.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%