Question Re. Directions For A Bulk Cake Mix

Decorating By 2muchsugar Updated 11 Aug 2008 , 12:23am by PollyMaggs

2muchsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2muchsugar Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 6

I normally bake scratch cakes. However, I recently purchased a 50 lb. bag of cake mix from Dawn Foods. Can someone tell me how to read the directions? I know this sounds simple, but it lists 3 "stages" with different amounts of mix and water. I'm not clear on what the stages are...do they refer to commercial mixer sizes? I have a 6 qt. Kitchen Aid and need to convert to a smaller batch.

Can anyone that has used these products before help? THANKS!

5 replies
gr8_seamstress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8_seamstress Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 6

I am not familiar with the bulk instructions. However, I would take the smallest measurements and divide it down from there. Cut it in half as many times as it takes to "fit" your mixer capacity.

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 6

Call the manufacturer and ask if they have any
instructions.

2muchsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2muchsugar Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 11:59pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks, but I have tried contacting them without success. I really like their products, but their customer service definitely leaves something to be desired. I'm at my wit's end icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the suggestions....anyone else use Dawn Food products?

heatherlikesfood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heatherlikesfood Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 12:18am
post #5 of 6

I might be completely off, but from what I remember from my time at the bakery I used to work at, the three stages listed are 3 different ways that the cake cake be made. Stage 1 may be a recipe made with oil, 2 may just be water, etc.

Like I said though, I could be off icon_smile.gif

PollyMaggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PollyMaggs Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 12:23am
post #6 of 6

http://www.dutchvalleyfoods.com/food/VendorItem.aspx/Vendor_No/a9c07885-51a2-40e6-a127-0075e12ee2fc

This company sells all Dawn cake batters in the 50 lb bags and if you click on the product you have, it gives the recipe for a regular 2 layer 8" cake. The company is dutch valley foods. If thats not what you need they have an e-mail addy for product info questions.

Hope this helps.
Polly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%