Help! What To Do? Long Sorry,

Lounge By HannahLass Updated 14 Aug 2008 , 8:52pm by KKC

HannahLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahLass Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 7:56am
post #1 of 12

Im rather new at cake decorating but am enjoying it a lot. Although I haven't been doing them for long most of them have been for other people (mostly ones people have bought from me) the only thing is people dont seem to realise how much effort goes in and how much the ingredients are, I guess I mean the people at work. I've always brought sweet things into the office. But now Im doing the decorating thing they want me to bring them in not caring how much it costs me. And now they are being pushy. Somone who hasnt really spoken to me in the office asked me to make a cake for her last day in the office. Im not very good at saying no and this has really annoyed me as I now have 3 cakes due in the same week (2 to paying customers) and I work full time. I only charge £20- £25 for my basic cakes but that covers ingredients and SOME of my time but this is a lot for me to be out of pocket to make a cake for someone who has never bothered to have a conversation with me. What do I do?

11 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 8:03am
post #2 of 12

We read about this ALL THE TIME here on CC.

Get yourself a backbone and just say no.

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 8:37am
post #3 of 12

Gotta second the frankness of Chutzpah--she is right!

I think it was Indydebi's remark that has stuck with me.
Tell them you will bring a cake in any time when they pay for it.

If you don't have the stuff to tell them where they and their cake-demanding ways can go, just say "sure, I'd love to make you a cake. That will be XX dollars." Then watch them stare in shock as you walk off.

Don't fold to people like this.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 9:59am
post #4 of 12

Most of the time I'm too frank for my own good....... but I get so tired of reading this same post over and over and over and over again. And again.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 11:24am
post #5 of 12

Well, what do they usually do for someone leaving? Do they buy a cake from a bakery and everyone pitches in?
If you have never spoken to her AND she is leaving, you don't really have an obligation to please her. I would just tell her the next time you see her that you are now booked with paying orders that week, and unfortunately you can no longer *donate* her going away cake... Good luck, it's hard to learn to say no....

HannahLass Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:11pm
post #6 of 12

Sorry Chutzpa I don't mean to aggrivate. They don't usually do much when someone leaves take a collection and that is about it. I made a cake for a colleague leaving a few months ago but he was a good friend still is a good friend actually. It just annoys me that they expect it, grr. They want cake but wont contribute they can just forget it. I cant afford to that for everyone that leaves. Unless they want to buy them then I will try to accomodate. However if I want people to keep ordering cakes I have to make sure that the paying customers get the best I can do as most of the work I have had has been via word of mouth and people seeing my cakes and wanting one themselves. Thankyou for helping me get up the nerve to have a spine.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:36pm
post #7 of 12

Usually, there is one person in each office who seems to be the organizer of these types of things. Tell that person, and I assure you that word will get around. You need to have on the tip of your tongue at all times "How much do you want to spend on this cake?" and that will let them know for sure it's not free!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:40pm
post #8 of 12

I would sometimes take cookie overbakes into work at the end of the week. Like you, people started to expect them and were letting me know which cookies they wanted me to bring in.

The line I began using was: "My oven time is now at a premium. If you want on the baking schedule, place your order now with a deposit check and I'll let you know my first available open slot and put you in line."

It worked. People were placing cookie orders 4 weeks in advance! And these were just the simple little choc chip & snickerdoodle type cookies.

When I was first getting started, I worked in a bldg of 300+ women, so we had LOTS of baby/wedding showers, retirements, and pitch-in's for no reason. Same thing .... I'm spending a lot of time making a cake while others are bringing in a bag of chips. So when I hear people talking about "I've no idea what to bring", I'd tell them to contribute some money toward the cake and "we" would bring in the cake. I'd get 3-4 or more people doing that, who were MORE than happy to just hand me some money as their contribution. My supplies were bought and sometimes I came out ahead money wise.

HannahLass Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:33pm
post #9 of 12

Sorry Chutzpa I don't mean to aggrivate. They don't usually do much when someone leaves take a collection and that is about it. I made a cake for a colleague leaving a few months ago but he was a good friend still is a good friend actually. It just annoys me that they expect it, grr. They want cake but wont contribute they can just forget it. I cant afford to that for everyone that leaves. Unless they want to buy them then I will try to accomodate. However if I want people to keep ordering cakes I have to make sure that the paying customers get the best I can do as most of the work I have had has been via word of mouth and people seeing my cakes and wanting one themselves. Thankyou for helping me get up the nerve to have a spine.

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 10:58pm
post #10 of 12

I hear ya on this one! I made a cake for my friend/coworkers bday (the frog one on my album) well another friend/coworker is leaving wednesday and yes i did say i'd make one but that was when we were doing a pot luck. well then the pot luck wasn't going to happen and people were still looking at me to do the cake... EXCUSE ME??? i said "i see this is going to snowball on me" and one of the girls told me to just give the office manager a reciept. i thought... good idea, and if they don't want my cakes (which they profess to be soooooooooooooooooooooooo good) they can carry their happy tail to walmart and buy a gross tasting one. and then i'll just pick and choose the cakes i make for my FRIENDS! icon_wink.gif BE STRONG or they'll walk on you like a rug!

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 6:53pm
post #11 of 12

This song plays a lot on this site, you all are just too nice and too talented lol!! I agree with chutzpah
until you say no they will keep asking.

Alicia

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 8:52pm
post #12 of 12

Hannahlass, I was in the same boat...when I started out I use to bring in things for the office and this one chick in particular who I really didn't care for, she told someone in the office that she didn't like me & never said more than 2 words to me...I mean if I go out of my way to speak she would just look at me. But once someone snuck her a taste of my banana pudding and she was hooked, she starting coming into our section of the office just to ask if I made any banana pudding. So she'd be asking me when I was going to make more and can I bring her a sample icon_confused.gif Are u kidding me...I told her that I don't give away my sweets for free and if she wanted a sample of banana pudding then she'd have to pay icon_wink.gif The nerve of some people thumbsdown.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%